Chapter Thirty-One

Under the Blood Moon

Thirty-One

Cauis

Esmerelda sits beside me on the couch in the living room, completely still and silent after Nikiya and I have talked to her. She's staring straight ahead at the wall behind Nikiya, barely breathing. I reach over and grab her hand that's resting on her thigh. When I suggested she go after the men responsible for killing her and Kalli, I never thought it would lead to this. I never thought it would result in the distance between Nikiya and her to grow even more. I can see the wheels turning in her head, but I can't figure out what she's going to decide.

Nikiya is sitting on the opposite couch, practically glaring daggers at the two of us. Egor is her friend, but so is Esmerelda. Nikiya attributes Egor to saving her life, but Esmerelda brought Luke to her, and Esmerelda was able to make it so Nikiya could have children. One way or another, Nikiya needs to make up her mind as to which faction she belongs to now. Will she stand by the vampires, or will she honor her mate and stand with us?

Nikiya huffs, and leans back on the couch, crossing her arms over her chest. She's growing impatient with Esmerelda. She thinks this should be an easy decision, but it really isn't. In this moment, Esmerelda has to choose between possibly going to war, or letting Egor go. Between finding peace within herself, or living with this the rest of her life.

Esmerelda sighs, and squeezes my hand in hers. I continue to stare at her, as she is the wall behind Nikiya, and squeeze her hand back. I see Esmerelda's eyes glaze over, and I know she's searching the future. She can't decide on her own what she's going to do. After a moment, Esmerelda blinks rapidly, and looks at me. I take a deep breath, and let it out slowly. I don't know what her vision was about, and I still can't tell which way she's going to go.

She looks over to Nikiya and smiles at her. "You realize what you're asking." Esmerelda starts, returning Nikiya's glare. "And you also realize that Egor would have killed witches when he took his father's spot. But instead of following in his father's footsteps, he was turned into a vampire, and has killed easily ten times as many people as we would have. He is over seven hundred years old, Nikiya, do you not think he's lived long enough?"

Nikiya curls her lip at her. "And you two were both supposed to die over two thousand years ago." She shrugs her shoulders. "I don't see how that makes a difference."

"But we haven't killed as many people as him and his father. Nor have we truly lived all these years." Esmerelda snarls back at her. "You understand why I'm doing this. Kalli's promise was for me to kill all decedents."

"But he saved my life, Esmerelda." Nikiya pleads, sitting back up. "If it wasn't for Egor, the prophecy would never have been fulfilled."

Esmerelda squints her eyes at her. "Don't remind me of what a key point you play in our lives. I have sacrificed so much to get to where I am now. What have you sacrificed?"

Nikiya's jaw locks, and her eyes flicker over to me. I hide my smile that starts spreading across my face with my free hand. Nikiya hasn't had to sacrifice anything. Ever since Esmerelda came into her life, she's gained so much more than she ever would have. Every ounce of happiness Nikiya has, she owes to Esmerelda. I may not be able to command her, but Esmerelda can, simply by reminding her that she can take it all away too. Esmerelda can make it so Nikiya can't have anymore kids.