Chapter Twenty-Seven

***Please keep in mind this book spans 5 years***

Under the Blood Moon

Twenty-Seven

Ten months later...

My nightmare bolts me awake. I swiftly sit up in bed, my breathing coming out in pants. I wipe at my hairline on my forehead, feeling a large amount of sweat there. My sudden movement wakes Cauis before I can even try and calm down.

He sits up on the bed with me, and puts a hand on my back. "What is it?" He asks me sleepily, but his voice full of concern.

I shake my head at him, and swallow harshly, blinking a few times to clear my sight. I continue to pant rapidly, my heart feeling like it's going to come out of my chest. My nightmare had been about Kalli. I haven't had one in so long about her that it grips me tightly still. Out of all my relatives I lived through, Kalli was the worst. She was so sweet and strong for someone who was only eleven. She never did learn how to fully control her powers, and that's how the local magistrate was able to find her. It took the fat man only two days to track her down, and then they didn't even give her a trail, condemning her to death that very night.

I feel the flames of the fire that killed us radiate up my arms. I quickly throw the blanket off of me, and rush to the bathroom. I turn the cold water on, and step inside, leaving my night clothes on. I call out when the icy water hits me, but I force myself to stay under it, placing my hands on the wall above the temperature knob.

"Esmerelda?" Cauis says coming into the bathroom. He looks at me through the glass of the shower, and gives me a sad smile. I don't have to tell him what's going on. It's been a really long time since I've had a panic attack about Kalli, but the ways of calming myself haven't changed.

Cauis opens the shower door to come in, but I hold up my hand to him. "You don't have to, Cauis. I'll be okay." I shiver at him.

He smiles, and ignores me, stepping into the shower. "I know you will be." He says wrapping his arms around me, shaking under the water with me.

I take a deep breath, and let him help calm me. Slowly, my heart rate goes back to a normal rhythm, and my breathing calms. I turn the knob on the shower when I don't feel the flames anymore, and step out of Cauis' arms.

When we're both dried, and dressed in new clothes, Cauis sits beside me on the foot of the bed. He takes a deep breath, and says, "Years ago, when we first gained control and you had that panic attack, you vowed to go after the decedents of those men." He pauses, and I look at him. "Is that not something you want to do anymore?"

I chew on my bottom lip. I had vowed then to fulfill Kalli's dying wish. One day, your families will all perish. The great and powerful Esmerelda Blasio will come for all of you, she had screamed at them.

Cauis quickly grabs my hand, and continues, "I'm not saying you have to, but, maybe then you can find some peace within yourself. Perhaps, going after them will help you and your panic attacks."