Chapter Thirty-Six

Under the Blood Moon

Thirty-Six

It's been a week since I told Hope about what she will do. She's decided to give me the silent treatment. Everyday, I try to talk to her, but she just won't speak to me. Cauis is not happy about it, but I refused to let him order her to speak to me. Hope will come to me when she is ready. I delivered a massive bomb shell on her. She needs time to digest it. Hope will preform the transfer spell, that I'm sure about. Had Cyrus told me I would be taking his magic away, I would have had the exact same reaction. Hope isn't being ridiculous like Cauis thinks.

I haven't seen Nikiya since that day either. It does worry me greatly that she is actively out there trying to figure out how I killed Egor. But I know Hope's magic. I know it will not fail. Nikiya's false memories will stay intact, no matter how hard she tries to figure out what happened. All evidence that could link me to his murder has been destroyed, even the spell Cyrus and I used to control Nikiya was burned, thanks to Septimus' quick thinking.

Still, I feel as though I'm sitting on pins and needles, just waiting for that phone call from John. It's coming, I can feel that, I just wish I knew when. 

Eric found a broken line from the magistrate, a woman who died in 1752. She had no children when she died, and it's put a halt on Eric's research. Eric, Miles, Luke, and Abigail returned home, empty handed, two days ago. I wasn't as upset as I thought I would be, but then again, I do have other things to worry about now. If the only decedent I am able to kill is Egor, I will be okay with that. Just his death alone has erased my panic attacks.

Every morning, I wake up tucked into Cauis' side. And every morning, I'm just as relaxed as anyone else. My breathing no longer falters when he wraps his arms around me and pulls me closer into his warmth. I don't feel the old flames creep up inside me anymore. I'm truly happy and content ever since I killed Egor. It does bother me just a little that killing makes me feel better. With Achilles, I understood that one. I never thought that repeating those actions would have this much of an impact on me. Cauis told me it stems from my wolf. When a wolf feels wronged, they do not rest until their justice is served. The fact that I had gone after a vampire possibly quelled any resentment for those who burned Kalli and I.

Those few hours I spent with Egor have changed my perspective on vampires though. I of course always knew how vampires fed, but seeing it for myself has changed things inside me. I see vampires as vile creatures, who have long lived passed what they should. I understand that vampires can live forever, but does someone really need to live hundreds of years? I don't consider myself to have lived that long, since for those two thousand years I wasn't in control of my host. I didn't truly live. Vampires' complete disregard for human life does not sit well with me either. I can't even begin to image the number of people who have been killed from a vampire having their fun. And that's the other thing. For vampires, it's fun and exciting to take someone's life. I felt exactly what Nikiya felt while they danced in that club for hours. 

If vampires were eliminated from the face of the Earth all together, how many lives could I save? How many people would grow up? Have kids of their own? Perhaps even change the world we live in for the better? New York City alone would see a dramatic drop in homicides.