Chapter Twenty-Five

Under the Blood Moon

Twenty-Five

Cauis

I roll over on the bed and reach my arm out to hold Esmerelda closer to myself, but she's not there. I reach my arm out more, and find the edge of the bed with my finger tips. I lift my head from the pillow, and squint my eyes against the bright morning sun that's coming through the crack in the curtains. The bed is empty, so I turn my head to see if she's at the table, but I find myself alone in the room.

"Esmerelda?" I call out thinking she might be in the bathroom. There's no sound. I jump out of bed as fear immediately over takes me. I open the bathroom door, but the room is empty. I turn back to grab a pair of jeans that are on the floor, and see a piece of hotel stationary on the desk in the room. I make my way over to it, and read that Esmerelda has just gone to Master Druses' room.

I breath a sigh of relief, knowing that she is safe. I can't wait for all of this to be over with. My phone starts buzzing on the bedside table, so I make my way over to it, putting Esmerelda's note back down on the desk. I rub at my eyes, trying to get the sleep out of them. It was really nice last night spending time with Esmerelda and Master Druses. He had told us about actually witnessing the fall of the Republic. Of course Esmerelda and I had learned the history through Miles and Hope going to school, but to hear it first hand made it seem more real.

I pick up my phone, seeing that it's John calling me. Last time I spoke to him was right before I came to Rome months ago. The only reason I had called him then was to give him a heads up that we would be so close. I slide my thumb across the screen, and bring the phone to my ear. "Good morning, John." I greet him, unplugging my phone from the charger.

"And to you, Cauis." He replies. "How are you?"

I sit down on the bed, and run my hand over my face. "All things considered, pretty good."

"Good, good. Glad to hear it." He pauses. "I was just calling to check and see how things were going with you and the Mrs."

"We're doing better. Esmerelda believes that she can trap Achilles in a new prison world." I tell him, making sure to not mention Hope and her powers. If Esmerelda is indeed giving up her powers, then we need to make sure he doesn't find out about Hope.

"And do you think it will work?" John asks me.

"I believe in Esmerelda. If she says she can do something, she can do it." I tell him honestly. There isn't much that Esmerelda can't do. And if she really sets her mind to it, like putting Achilles away once and for all, I have no doubt in my mind that the prison world her and Hope created will hold up.

"From what you told me about this man, Achilles," he pauses trying to remember the name. I wish I had that problem. "He's already gotten out of this place once."

I work my jaw. "Yeah, I know he did." I tell him flatly. "But he won't this time. You know you can trust Esmerelda's word."

"I do trust Esmerelda," he retorts. "But it's this man I don't trust, for obvious reasons." I didn't tell John about Esmerelda and Hope's attack. All I told him was Achilles was in the prison world, and managed to get out and is now half werewolf, half warlock, but with a severely fucked up moral compass. Maybe if John knew the truth he would have more faith in Esmerelda when it comes to dealing with this. But I don't think Esmerelda, nor Hope, would appreciate me telling him.