Chapter Twenty-Six

Under the Blood Moon

Twenty-Six

"Esmerelda," Cauis breathes quietly with his arms still wrapped around me tightly. "You must get us out of here." He turns his head away, and continues, "Luke, get rid of him."

"Actually, I would like to take him." I hear John say as he walks up to us.

"For what?" Septimus asks stepping forwards.

John looks at Septimus and says, "For my people. So they may see it with their own eyes that they are safe."

Septimus steps up to him, and cocks his arm back. He brings his fists forwards, and lands a punch on John's jaw. I gasp at Septimus, along with everyone else. How had John allowed him to hit him? "I won't let you use him as a trophy." Septimus spits at him.

John growls as he straightens, and then wipes some blood from his lip. He licks his thumb where the blood is, and leaps on top of Septimus. Cauis lets go of me and stands, and I follow after him. The area around Achilles' body fills with growls and hisses from John and Septimus. They both move so quickly my eyes can't keep up with their actions.

I bring my arms up, and pull them apart from each other. "Enough!" I shout at them, letting out a very small amount my frustration. I look between the two, my breathing hitching. I look at John, and say, "Is that what you want him for? To show him off?"

John tries to move around, but can't as I keep my hold on him. "Essentially." He roars at me. "Now let me down!"

I drop my left arm that's holding him, allowing him to move around himself. I keep Septimus in my grasp as I say to John, "Take him. Do whatever you want with him."

"Esmerelda, no!" Septimus pleads with me.

I snap my head to him. "It's my decision and it's final." I tell him firmly. I drop my arm from him and order, "Let him go, Septimus. Stop caring for the waste of space he was."

Septimus instantly bows to me, but grinds his teeth together. John moves back over to Achilles, and picks him up, throwing him over his shoulder. He turns to Cauis and I, and bows. "Thank you for your cooperation." He stands up and smiles at us. "We will need to get together soon and discuss some things."

'Some things' being me giving up my powers, I'm sure. I swallow, and force myself to smile. "Of course." I reply dipping my head to him.

Cauis does the same, and then extends his hand to him. "It was good seeing you, John. Have a safe run home."

"And to you Cauis," he turns to me when he drops Cauis' hand, giving me a look. "As well as you, Esmerelda."

I smile at him, not saying anything as he turns, and then runs away in a flash. I look down at the grass that has some blood on it, and wrap my arms around myself again. I look over to Hope, and see she is smiling at me.

"Thank you," she mouths to me.

I give her a sad smile, and nod my head. I don't feel bad for killing Achilles. I feel bad because I hadn't been able to control myself after I learned he didn't have a protection spell on himself. I never came into today thinking this was how it would end. Me being the one to actually kill him. I had thought Cauis or Miles would actually.