Chapter Twelve: Leather Jackets

Question of the day: Where in the world are my beautiful readers? :)

Slight trigger warning: *mentions sensitive topics such as reflection of self injury, may be triggering to some.

Indie's Point of View:

       After I had received the flower from Thaddeus, I couldn't stop tossing and turning in my bed. My heart felt as if there were strings attached to it, making me crave Thaddeus around me. I felt utterly frustrated, to say the least. I wasn't the type of girl to catch feelings, in fact, I had never had a true crush in my life. If I did, the romantic feeling was immediately disintegrated because of my ability to read their minds. It was a major turn off, hearing a hormonal teenage boy think such graphic things of you. I sighed, getting out of bed and walking into my kitchen, hearing the floorboard creak underneath my feet. I made a hot cup of tea, relishing the warm liquid going down my throat and I relaxed into the creaky kitchen chair. I pulled my legs up to my chest, avoiding to look at my body. When I was younger, I had dealt with self-inflicted from my pent up emotions and isolation. I grimaced, looking at the burn marks which I so badly regretted.

I was doodling absentmindedly, before I decided to go sit outside. It was a full moon, and it seemed especially close to earth tonight. I continued to doodle flowers on a scrap piece of paper, the porch light shining on me dimly. The breeze felt cool, and the scent of petrichor was in the air, followed by grass that glimmered with condensation surrounding my small home. There were tall mountains in the distance, but from where I was they looked like hilltops.

"Did you like the flower, little one?" I heard a husky voice say, breaking the pleasant silence I was in, making me jump in the swinging bench. My heart began to speed up again, as it always did when I heard his voice. "I did, thank you." I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"May I sit with you?" He was suddenly on my front porch, dressed in a slick leather jacket and dark jeans. He was cleanly shaven, his jawline standing out as the moon illuminated his slightly olive toned skin. I nodded, pulling my thighs to my chest further, suddenly feeling insecure from the gaze of the beautiful man that was sitting within a close proximity of me. He stared at me, his eyes dark like granite, the moon reflecting in them. Chills ran down my spine, making the hairs rise on my neck and back as I heard a wolf howl mournfully.

"You need a jacket, little one. It is cold tonight, and you are scantily clad." Before I had the chance to respond, his jacket was off, and he was handing it to me. I sat there, dumbfounded, my heart racing a mile a minute. He chuckled, before walking behind me to put his jacket on my shoulders. It smelled like musk, pine trees, and man. I resisted the urge to hum in happiness as the warmth from his body that was transmitted onto his jacket enveloped me. It smelled like his, making something deep within me feel so protected as his jacket reach past my fingertips, covering my hands completely.

"Won't you get cold?" I asked, drawing my attention to his obsidian eyes.

"I won't. I tend to run hot blooded."

I made an O shape with my mouth, happily sitting in silence with Thaddeus as the bench swayed slightly, back and forth. He was about six inches away from me, but something in me wanted him to move closer to me. He radiated so much warmth. "Where were you?" I blurted, immediately wanting to slap a hand over my mouth for seeming so clingy and whipped. His eyes filled with adoration, or was it love?

"I have always been here, little one. I had frightened you the previous week, I didn't want to upset you further." His voice was low, still staring at me whilst I somehow found the courage to meet my eyes with his.

"Did you miss me, little one?"

Although it was dark, I knew that my face was about as scarlet as a fire truck, along with my ears. My palms began to sweat vigorously as I swallowed, trying to calm myself down. "I just... No. I just wanted a friend, I suppose." I shrugged, looking down at the leather jacket that enveloped my form.

"I would very much like to be your friend, Indie." I could tell he was holding back with his words, but his features began to soft and relax after my name rolled off of his tongue. I smiled softly, looking back up to the sky.

For hours, we sat there, in a pleasant silence that I didn't know I needed. It was as if he knew my head was constantly filled with the voices of others. He moved approximately an inch towards me, very cautiously, over time.

He knew exactly what I needed, it seemed.

***

I hadn't realized I had drifted off into a sleep until I felt large, warms arms scoop me up bridal style. His heart beat was steady, until I instinctively moved my hand to his chest, resting over his heart. His muscles contracted under my touch, making me feel all gooey and mushy inside. For a moment I wanted to rip it away, fearing rejection. I felt embarrassed, but I couldn't seem to move my hand over his heartbeat; as it was oddly comforting. "My, my, little one." I heard him whisper with a strained voice. He then breathed out a sentence I couldn't make out, it almost sounded as if it were Latin. All I knew in that moment was that I didn't want him to go.

"Please don't leave." In that moment, I knew I hated myself. I sounded so weak, but I couldn't help the words falling from my mouth. His muscles softened, placing me on my bed and gently moving the duvet over me, tucking it in.

"I will be right here, Indie."