Chapter Twenty-Six: Acceptance

Indie's Point of View:

His lips were soft, and warm. His stubble tickled my face as I pressed mine against his own, my heart racing faster than it ever had before. His scent enveloped me, radiating off of his body and wrapping me up like a warm blanket on a cold night. His large hands were planted on my waist firmly, making me feel like my knees could buckle in at any given moment.

Lost in the trance that was his kiss, my heart plummeted.

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

I suddenly felt so embarrassed, choked up by my humiliation that I had basically just forced a kiss onto him. What if he didn't want that? Why would someone as beautiful as him even look in my direction? I understand that 'mates' are a thing in the werewolf realm, but this was much larger for me to try to wrap my head around. I began to question his attraction to me. Was it solely because I was his said 'mate'? Or did he feel the same needing as I did for him?

I pulled back, my face feeling like it was on fire as I gulped, trying to not breathe too loudly so that he couldn't hear how absolutely nervous I was. My chest was undeniably heaving, as I took another few inches back from him. Everything felt so unreal, and the dissociative feeling that had been haunting me since I was a young girl was creeping up from behind me, strangling me with fear of irrational rejection.

"Look at me." His low voice felt hot against the side of my face. I continued to look down at the floor, overwhelmed by these feelings that erupted like gasoline mixed with fire in my chest. The room was silent, only the sounds of our beating hearts and slight panting emitting from my mouth.

"Look at me, Indie." His voice was more stern this time, making my legs feel like jell-o all over again.

"Shut up. You're making me feel weird things." I mumbled. Being rudely defensive was really my only coping mechanism when I felt flooded by emotions. I was expecting him to be angry, maybe snap at me for my crude remark — but instead, I deep chuckled rumbled in his chest.

"Don't tell me such things, little one." His hands were now on either side of my face.

"I'll say whatever I wanna say." I couldn't believe I was sassing him, considering the fact that he could basically snap me in half with little effort. He laughed again, tilting my chin up again as his eyes darkened again — something I noticed that had happened when he was feeling something intense. "Listen, little one, you are quite lucky it's you saying that, and not someone else."

"And what does that mean?" I gasped quietly as he moved his hands from my face, to either side of my neck. He didn't reply, instead he continued to stare into my eyes. His jaw was so strong defined, something I couldn't seem to not look at. His face was chiseled, and his pink-tinted lips were slightly parted. His eyes seem to dilate rapidly as he gazed at me, his pupils getting larger by the second. It felt like, in that moment, that we were the only two people on the planet. He leaned his head back down to kiss me, and as much as I wanted to meet his lips with mine I knew I couldn't let my guard down so easily around him — or anyone, for that matter.

"I can't."

"I do not expect you to have sex with me, Indie. I do not expect anything from you."

My eyes widened as I shuffled back, my face in flames for approximately the 300th time around him. My mouth fell agape, embarrassed and shocked by his insinuation. I scoffed, suddenly feeling humiliated.  "I'm not trying to... to have... s-sex with you!" Why would be assume something like that?

"Thank you for kissing me." He said breathily. I didn't even want to try and speak in that moment, knowing that everything I would try to say would most likely come out as a stammer. He was thanking me for kissing him?

Instinctively, I leaned up on my tip-toes and wrapped my arms around his neck, feel his broad and muscular chest against mine. At this point, I couldn't hold back how I felt any longer. He was so intoxicating, everything about him was. His voice, his lips, his eyes — his aura. I couldn't keep trying to pull myself away from him. When I tried to distance myself from him — fearful of the strong emotions I had for him — it only hurt me. I had for once in my life felt so needed, protected and accepted by someone. I wanted him to know me, as I wanted to know him.

It sounded absolutely absurd, but when he called me his 'mate' it felt somehow natural. I didn't think he was crazy, because the only thing that came to my mind when I thought of him was... soulmate?

I think I was beginning to go crazy. All of the events that had taken place in the past few weeks were so overwhelming. From him shifting into this huge werewolf, to me practically falling in love with a man I knew hardly anything about — he was irresistible. I believed him, and I couldn't pull myself back any longer. I had built a protective wall for myself, not letting myself get too close to anyone in fear of rejection and disapproval. But now, I had to take what I felt for Thaddeus and run with it. I felt so safe, like I could say anything or do anything around him and he would still look at me with same adoration.

He wrapped his strong arms around my waist, our bodies pressed together.The feeling of him against me reminded me of the fireworks I had felt when he first brushed his fingertips against my skin; except much stronger. I melted into him like a broken mold, my knees feeling weak as I felt them begin to buckle from the sensation of fire that erupted upon my skin.

I squeaked when he unexpectedly grasped me tighter, most likely sensing how shaky my legs were. I gasped yet again when he picked me up, placing my feet on top of his with his face buried into my neck.

Holy fuck.

He breathed in my scent, which felt oddly comforting at the moment and held my waist so tight — reminding me of his inhumane strength. I didn't understand how being held by someone was so euphoric, and many questions still clouded my mind regarding him calling me his "mate." But now, all I could do was melt under his warm touch.