Chapter Fifty-Two: Narcissist

Indie's Point of View:

I was laying in the couch, next to Thaddeus. The fire was lit, the only audible noises being the crackles of the twigs and sparks that erupted from them. Thaddeus was currently looking through paperwork, as he always did. His eyebrows were furrowed, intently studying them before signing documents that I couldn't read — due to the fact that they were in Latin. He would occasionally receive phone calls, his voice soothing me as he spoke to various other Alphas. As he got off of his so-called "last call", he sighed, sitting down next to me. I yelped when he pulled me onto his lap, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck. Him doing that was "our thing," so-to-speak. He'd always pull me closer, even if I was just inches away from him.

"I spoke to your Dean of Students. They allowed you to finish your classes online, they only ask that you come back for exams and your MCAT." He murmured into my ear.

"Did you threaten them or something? I don't think medical school works like that." I chuckled, his head now resting on my chest. "I'm the top ranked Alpha, they do as I say. Besides, Whiteoak is 90% wolves. They understand my duties." I rolled my eyes at him, poking his cheek.

"Top ranked narcissist, too." He opened his eyes fully, pulling his head from my chest and clutching his heart playfully. "You are feisty, little one." He laughed. When Thaddeus used the whole "top ranked" term, it brought me to thinking of just the other night at the ball where he was chosen to be the supervisor. I hadn't seen someone who could've looked like my mother, making me feel somewhat sad. It was unreasonable sadness, though; I mean, you can't miss something you've never had. But a small part of me was still hoping that I would've seen her, and maybe would've met her. Was her name Ancillary as the other witches said?

"Penny for your thoughts?" Thaddeus questioned, looking up at me through the glasses that rested on the bridge of his nose. "I just... I don't know. I guess the other night I expected to see my mother. I feel like all of that anxiety and anticipation was built up, pointlessly. I don't know, maybe it's better that I didn't see her. Hell, how would I even know if that was her? Maybe she was like my aunt or something, or someone that just coincidentally had eyes like mine. I guess there's just this burning curiosity inside of me, wanting to know so badly who my true, blood mother is. I wonder if she's past her addiction, or if she still struggles." I thought aloud, while Thaddeus listened intently. It helped to talk about things with him, especially because he always hung onto the last word I said. He genuinely cared and wanted to hear what I had to say — it was comforting.

"I think that fate always works out the way it's supposed to. Maybe one day you will meet her, maybe you won't for a long while. I do know one thing, though: she loves you very much, she always has. She may still be working through some of her previous struggles; but one day she will come and find you, Indie." He stroked my cheek, pressing a kiss to my forehead soothingly. I nodded, smiling softly at him.

"When I was a child, I didn't think she wanted me. I thought she was selfish, I resented her. I was born addicted to opiates, I was in the NICU for weeks until the doctors could ween me off of the substance. I hated her as a child, but now I feel regretful for those feelings. I want to know her, I want her to know me." I sighed.

"I just wish that she had been there to guide me through all of this telepathic shit. I felt so alone. James and Janis tried to be there, but they couldn't — and I can't blame them for that. Mother of God, they adopted a child completely unaware to the fact that I wouldn't be just a regular kid. They felt guilty, and I know that. And my birth father... I still resent him. He left my mother, or maybe he just is six-feet-under and I don't even know. I don't know his name, either. I know I don't like him, though, as cruel as that sounds. My mother had to make all of the decisions all on her own, whilst struggling with addiction." I rambled, my voice cracking weakly towards the end.

"I'm right here, Indie. You will never be alone again." He cupped my face with his warm palms, making me blush. I pressed a longing kiss against his lips, my hands moving to his shoulders; making him growl in approval. He hovered over my body, attacking me in kisses as I giggled. "Thaddeus, I can't. I'm on my period."

"Not trying to do anything, amica mea. Just giving you some love. I'm sorry I cannot comfort better." He murmured, placing kisses all over my face. I shook my head, playing with his soft hair. "Your presence is all that I need." I whispered, making his deep dimples poke through.

"Thaddeus?"

"Hm?" He went back to his previous position, with his head on my chest and his arms wrapped around my waist. It was funny to me, the fact that he loved being held so much. You wouldn't expect a big, bad Alpha to want to be the little-spoon.

"When's your birthday?" I asked curiously. He grimaced, shaking his head. "That information cannot be disclosed, little one."

"And why is that?"

"Turning twenty-seven... just seems quite old to me. I avoid thinking of it. Also, I don't want you to feel obligated to get me anything, you already have a lot on your plate."

"You have to tell me."

"No." He grunted.

"Please?"

"November 17th." He sighed heavily, giving in to my answer. My eyes widened. That was only a few days from now.

"You're a scorpio!" I squealed. "We're both scorpios. That's kind of cute. But we're also really compatible, which is odd. Usually two of the same signs don't go well together."

"You believe in that stuff?" He raised a brow at me, chuckling softly.

"I mean... I don't know. I think it's really interesting." I shrugged.

"You won't get me anything, right?" I shook my head, completely lying. "I wouldn't, I'll maybe give you a kiss if you're lucky."

"Is that so?" He nipped at my earlobe, making me shudder. "Maybe." I replied, my voice breathless. He kissed down my neck, licking at the place where he marked me gently — making me groan in approval. "Mm..." He kissed at my neck again, this time gently sucking at the skin. I felt my eyes roll back slightly, before I pushed him off playfully.

"On my period, sir. You cannot." I shook my finger at him.

"I don't mind." He nipped at my neck again, his teeth digging into the sensitive skin.

"Thaddeus!" I squeaked out. "Stop it. You're gross."

"I won't ever do anything you're not comfortable with. That was simply me just letting you know, in case you were embarrassed." He smirked, making my eyes widen.

"I.. am.. disgusted."

"Let me at least rub your back and fix you some tea, yeah?"

"Okay," I laughed. "That would be quite nice."