Chapter Fifty: Step Up

the fiftieth chapter!!! woooooo!! big surprise turn in this chappy :) enjoy!

Indie's Point of View:

I looked down at the test I was taking, my heart race accelerating. All of my answers on the packet seemed to be either D or C. This definitely wasn't going well. "2 minutes. Hurry up, everyone." My professor said, his voice snarky and impatient. I sighed, reviewing over my answers one last time before turning the booklet in with a shaky hand. He gave me a fake smile, making me want to scoff and roll my eyes.

"Everyone, enjoy your break. I know I will." What a jackass, I thought to myself. As tempting as it was, I never read anyone's minds during a test or quiz. I wanted to earn everything on my own, including the grades I received. I walked out of the building, sighing in relief. I was free, for two weeks. Although it was nice to be on holiday, I knew I would continue to be anxious until the final grades were entered. This was my gateway into medical school, something I've dreamt of since I was a little girl. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, pulling it out and smiling when I saw Thaddeus' contact picture. It was a rare photo of him, smiling with his teeth. His pearly whites exposed, the deep dimples poking through his stubbled jaw.

"Hi."

"How did it go, amica mea?" His deep voice echoed through the phone as I kicked at the rocks beneath my feet. I groaned, pressing my palm to my face as I slid into my car. "Don't worry, little one. You underestimate yourself, I know how undeniably intelligent you are. You did just fine." I smiled lightly from his words, starting up the engine. "Thank you, Thaddeus." I sighed out, trying not to stress too much about what I had just endured. "Hey, I have to go. I'll be at your place soon, to get ready for the dinner."

"Remember your seatbe-"

"Buckling it right now." I giggled, muttering an 'I love you' before starting up the car. I hung up, rubbing my hands up my arms before heading to Thaddeus' mansion-esque pack house.

         "This is uncomfortable," I groaned, feeling Mila lace-up the silk red dress. My boobs were practically spilling out, making me frown in the mirror. She pulled my hair back, beginning a neat french-braid. I felt kind of pretty, which was a foreign feeling to me. The dress was a satin texture, hugging at my waist and hips before flowing out below the knees slightly. I had blush on and some mascara, my lips coated in some gloss that Mila had picked out for me. "Oh girl, just push the boobs down. Thaddeus is gonna be pretty jealous if he sees that." She motioned to my chest. I nodded, pulling up the straps until I was covered. "That's better."

"Mila?"

"Hm?" She replied, continuing to braid my long hair down my back. A few stray pieces fell around my face, cascading in ringlets.

"Do you have a mate, too? What's he like?"

"I haven't met her yet," She sighed out, her eyes flashing with hurt. I wanted to end the conversation — not wanting to bring up matters she didn't feel comfortable discussing. "I love Charlotte, she's my entire world. But, she's just not my mate. It hurts me terribly, because I wish she was. I guess we just have to wait it out, and see what the Moon Goddess decides. I thought she would be my soul mate, ever since I was a young girl — but I was wrong, I guess." She looked down at my braid, absentmindedly tugging at it to give it a looser look. I frowned, my heart aching for her. I had assumed that all people just came across their mate in due time, but it seemed as if Mila had been waiting for a long while. "I'm really sorry."

"It's all okay, I'm sorry for rambling. I think about it all the time, but I can't really talk to Char about it. It hurts us both, a lot." She added the final touches to my makeup, avoiding my gaze. I could tell she was hurting, which hurt me for some unknown reason. "It's like a wound that you know will take forever to heal, but you just can't stop picking at it."