Chapter 04 | first day back

After leaving the library I resort to my car. The weather was nice out this time of day so I wasn't afraid of dying from a heatstroke. Once inside, I contemplate the thought of leaving but I decide against it. I know it wasn't going to be easy, going back to the way things were. But at least I could say I tried?

After some time alone, spent inside my car, I hop out. It was lunch time so students were starting to leave the building as I walked inside. I find my friends in the cafeteria, sitting at our designated table in the corner of the room.

Danielle and Jess were joined by Sofie and Beverley two girls from the cheer team who often sat here as well.

"Ella! I thought you went home?" Danielle beams.

"No still here."

"I'm really glad you could make it Ella." Beverley chimes in. "I'm surprised you look this good on your first day back."

I swallow the lump in my throat as I take a seat.

"We're really sorry about Wyatt." Beverley adds.

"Thanks." I nonchalantly reply.

"Anyway, did you guys see Hero?" Beverley says with a smile.

Beverley was a bitch if it wasn't already obvious. She enjoyed male attention and having already been with the entire school Hero was like a new toy in her eyes. Except Hero wasn't an easy guy. Beverley's been trying to catch his attention ever since sophomore year.

"He's here? At school?" Jess asks.

"Speak of the devil." Danielle mumbles.

We look up from our table to see Justin and Hero heading this way.

That's when I disappear again...I look over to the empty seat beside me. Everyday for the past year that seat had been filled by Wyatt and now it just lay empty.

Justin's voice interrupts the conversation I'm heaving inside my head. He's sitting next to Danielle now which gives me a better look at him. I hadn't seen him before the accident. He doesn't look so good, definitely worse than I do. I can only imagine, Wyatt was his best friend.

Which makes me wonder why Hero hasn't shed a single tear or maybe he has? Hero knew Wyatt just as long if not longer.

As my friends continue to mingle I start to feel Hero's piercing eyes watching me from across the table. When I look at him he doesn't care to look away.

I've never had a great relationship with Hero. It used to be a constant battle when I started dating Wyatt. Hero got envious as if I took his best friend away. That's how the fallout happened. Hero made Wyatt choose and it was either me or him.

"How long do you plan on staying this time?" Danielle asks Hero.

"Hero's just staying for a couple of weeks." Justin answers. "Until the...funeral."

"Hero." Beverley flashes him a smile. "Are you going to the party tonight?"

"Depends, are you gonna be there?" A smirk rises on his lips and Beverley starts to giggle.

"Definitely."

"Then probably not." He shakes his head still smirking at her.