Chapter 11 | let me distract you

"Where the hell have you been?"

I look up to see Danielle and Jess staring me down. My mother's also standing with them with a questioning look. I've never seen her look at me like that, she's usually pretty laid back when it comes to discipline. I've also never been in trouble before, I've always had straight A's, great attendance and I was smart when it came to staying out late.

Recently, no.

"I was just out driving." I lie kicking my shoes off. "I completely forget about us meeting here."

"Have you been drinking?" My mother growls stepping closer to me her eyes widen. "Driving under the influence are you serious Ella?"

I roll my eyes at her. "No I haven't been drinking."

"Why are you lying to me?" She asks. "Maybe you girls should go."

I look back at my friends, well sorta friends I guess. I don't think I wanted to be friends with Jess anymore.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow." Danielle waves goodbye and they walk out of the house.

I make my way up the stairs but stop when my mom begins calling out for me. "I'm here for you Ella, please talk to me."

"I don't want to talk to you." I snap. "I'm fine, really."

I stomp the rest of my way up to my room and slam the door behind me. I wish I had that bottle now that I think about it.

No, I wish I had Wyatt.

I crash on my bed and instantly fall into a deep slumber. When I wake up the sun is shining through my windows, blinding me the longer I look at it. I grab my phone from underneath my pillow to check the time.

Seven forty-two A.M.

Homeroom started at eight so I was clearly already late. I jump out of bed and head into the bathroom in a hurry, I really needed a shower especially after yesterday's very hot practice. When I get out of the shower I notice some conditioner is still left inside my hair but begin brushing it anyway. The mascara from underneath my eyes adds more attention to the fact that I haven't had a goodnights sleep in days.

I slip on my underwear and scavenge through my drawers and my closet to find and outfit. I finally settle for light washed mom jeans and an old band tee. I slip on my white vans and continue making my way downstairs.

I regret not grabbing a few Advil's from the kitchen on my way out. My head is throbbing in pain I'm afraid it's gonna explode. When I get to school I see my designated parking spot is already taken by someone, great.

I drive around and find a spot that's practically a mile away from the entrance. I take one last look in my mirror and then I step out. I'm running because I'm already fifteen minutes late when I turn down the corridor and reach for the door handle to my classroom and it shoots open and hits me in the head.

"Shit."

I fall on my ass at the impact and my hand takes a hit when I use it for some support underneath me. I look up and see Hero looking down at me. I blink a few times while my headache prevents me from looking straight.

I don't remember walking into the nurses office but I'm sitting here now being examined. I squint my eyes shut when the nurse shines a bright light in my eyes.

"That's not helping." I groan out. "Can I go back to class now?"

"Not just yet, I need to wrap your hand." She points down at my swollen palm that's turned a little blue. Ouch.

I wince as she begins wrapping it.

"I suggest you drink plenty of water today. You look a bit dehydrated-" she keeps talking but I'm distracted by Hero who enters the small confined room we're in. He stands at the doorway and nods his head at me. "Okay?"