Chapter 49 | you chose rachel

"Senior skip day came in handy."

Hero glances at me and smiles before looking back at the road. After waking up we took a shower and had breakfast on the patio outside. Fortunately, I had extra clothes lying around Hero's room which I dressed into to start our day.

With the eviction notice now in full effect Hero has two days to move out. So now we're on our way to Tommy's house. It looks pretty gloomy outside and my only hope is that it doesn't start raining.

When Hero pulls into the driveway of Tommy's house he parks the car and shuts it off. He turns his head to look at me and I give him a genuine smile as if I remove all doubts and fears.

We step out of the vehicle and make way for the front door. We then wait for someone to open the door and when they do Rowan comes into view once again. I have a feeling he believes he "rules" the house.

"Back so soon." He says, there's a bitter tone in his voice. When he looks at me I can see the slight glare peeking through his eyes.

"Is Tommy home?" Hero asks.

Rowan nonchalantly shrugs his shoulders.

"Maybe, what do you want with him?" Rowan scoffs.

The sound of someone running behind Rowan can be heard until Leah appears behind him.

"Hero!" She cheers. "Ella!"

To my surprise she remembered me.

"Let them in Rowan." She scolds him. "Or I'm telling dad."

Rowan rolls his eyes. "Why don't you go color or something?"

"Yeah Rowan, let us in." I mock. I can hear Hero laugh lightly beside me.

"Dad!" Rowan calls out while gesturing us in.

Leah is watching us in admiration and following our every move. We follow Rowan in the living room and take a seat on the couch.

"Rowan I told you I'm busy with the—."

Tommy looks at us with wide eyes from across the room.

"Hero, I don't expect you're here to offer me a hand with the car?" He chuckles, cleaning the oil from his hands.

"A lots happened within the last forty-eight hours." Hero tells him. "Mom left again and Henry... he's not around anymore."

I rest my hand on Hero's and squeeze it.

"I can't help you with your mom—"

"I'm not asking you to bring mom back." Hero cuts him short and slouches forward. "Henry's dead which means I have no where else to go. I was evicted yesterday, I have no money and I can't offer you anything." 

Tommy crosses his arms over his chest and nods.

"I don't want anything from you Hero." Tommy replies. "But I do ask that you help around this house, no drugs, no—"

"What! Dad! You can't let him move in that easily!" Rowan argues. "This is the same son that left you, left us, he's just using you all over again."

"Rowan that's enough." Tommy snaps. "Hero's still a part of this family."

Rowan glares at Hero before storming out of the room.

"Thanks." Hero mutters.

"I'm sorry about Henry." Tommy adds. "But losing a dad isn't too difficult for you right?"

Tommy exits the room without another word while Hero jumps up from the couch and bolts for the door. I follow behind him and watch as his chest heavily rises and his fists become clenched.