Chapter 36 | a long story

"Without Henry around this house feels so empty. I'm glad I can spend some time with you two." Rachel says grabbing her spoon, she's served us up some soup and it looks quite appetizing. Unlike their house in California this house doesn't have any housemaids so she does all the cooking.

"Really? You ever think about that when you left me here to go play dress up in Paris?" Hero tells her.

There's a tension that sets in the air when he says that. Rachel looks uncomfortable.

"Don't act like you ever were alone here Hero, let's not forget about all those parties and the number of girls inside this house without my permission."

The metal of Hero's spoon hits against the bowl and I snap my head up to look at him.

"Yeah well maybe it distracted me from the fact that you only care about Henry and his goddamn money." Hero pushes his chair back. "C'mon Ella."

I stand up from my seat and grab Hero's bowl to put in the sink. I try to avoid Rachel's gaze because I'm afraid if I look at her I'll feel some sort of empathy for her. I don't want to choose sides here but I understand where Hero's coming from.

I grab my keys so we can leave for the game and I find Hero already waiting for me outside.

"The soup was good." I say as I pull out of the driveway, trying to make conversation.

"Can you stop at a gas station?"

"The game starts in five minutes." I remind him.

"So? It's not like we'll be late, it's a game."

"You want cigarettes don't you?" I give him a quick sideways glance.

"No."

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows.

"I thought you wanted like a snack or something?"

"I'm good." I tell him just before I turn into the parking lot. I spot Justin's car in the distance so I decide to park beside him. I lock the car once I step out and walk to Hero's side.

I'm surprised Hero's not exhausted by now, he's been walking in those crutches all day.

I hold the door open for him as we walk inside the gym. The bleachers are already full of parents, students and teachers.

"Yo!"

Hero and I both look up to see Justin waving his arms around to catch our attention. Justin starts running down the bleachers to catch up with us as we take our seats closer to the bottom.

"Danielle was hoping you'd come." He tells me.

We take our seats and look at the basketball players practicing their throws.

"Tell your girlfriend to stop acting like a bitch, maybe then Ella will wanna talk to her." Hero says.

"What?" Justin laughs probably thinking he heard wrong. "Did you just call Danielle a bitch?"

"Yeah." Hero nonchalantly answers.

I'm sitting between them which means I'll probably have to split them up if this turns ugly. Hero's been in a bad mood so I suggest Justin doesn't provoke him.

"Seriously why are you hating on her?"

"I already told you why." Hero sneers. "She's a bitch."

"Stop." I tell Hero. "She's my best friend."

"Maybe Danielle's right, you aren't good enough for Ella." Justin snaps back and that's when they both stand up.

"Danielle fucking cheated on you." Hero adds. "What does she know about being in a committed relationship?"