Chapter 42 | is this legal

It's the day after arriving back from our trip. We're back to our normal routine. The lunch table has become popular again, Jess has started sitting with us along with Beverley and Sofie. Jason has avoided Hero and I for the time being.

Jess's stomach has become noticeably bigger I'm getting worried, wondering when she'll tell Jason?

Hero took me to the local bookstore and chose a few different titles for me to read. Of course I didn't have the money for them but he insisted on buying them for me.

Now I'm just working on getting him to speak with his father. Rachel has made some progress with Hero, he often acknowledges her presence unlike he did before. We've had dinner together again and it didn't turn out to be a total mess.

I lay on my stomach reading through a Sarah Dessen book on Hero's bed while he's sitting across the room at his desk. I flip to the next page and look up to see him grab his guitar from the stand. A smile spreads across my face as I look back down at the page.

His fingers hit the strings as he starts tuning it. This is the first time I've witnessed him touching that guitar. He seems comfortable enough to play in front of me now. As I continue reading his light strums make it all more enticing.

I close my book and get off the bed, I walk toward him and look down at him as he looks up at me.

"This Friday we should go to another one of those underground band concerts you like." I mention running my fingers through his hair. He closes his eyes as I do this like it's the best feeling in the world.

"Yeah, I think my friend Evan is playing Friday." He nods standing up from the chair before putting the guitar down. "You met him last time."

"I remember." I say. "Maybe Danielle and Justin could come?"

I can hear him groan at the mention of them.

"Maybe next time?" He offers, smirking. "I have a surprise for you after school tomorrow."

I raise an eyebrow in curiosity. "A surprise?"

"It's not really a surprise but I want to take you somewhere." He chuckles, putting his hand to my cheek he gently caresses the skin with his thumb.

"Like a date?"

Hero bites his lip. "Yeah it's not really a date either."

I roll my eyes. "Fine I'll wait to see."

He leans down and presses his lips against mine. His hand against my cheek travels down where it holds the nape of my neck.

"Hey wait—" Hero says as I pull away.

"I have to be home soon." I say.

"Let me change your mind?"

I turn around. "You're not trying seduce me are you?" 

"You can't do that thing with your tongue and then say I'm seducing you, if anything you're seducing me."

I find myself blushing. I never realized I was doing anything special with my tongue before?

"I guess I'll walk you out." He says opening the door for me.

"Ella!" Rachel greets me on my way out. "I was hoping to see you, Henry will be in town next week and is having a business party Saturday and I'd love it if you came."

"Of course." I smile.

"Great, I'll let you to carry on."

As we approach my car outside I can already see the annoyed look on Hero's face.