Chapter 54 | you deserve better

I've been awake for the past five minutes poking Hero's cheek in an attempt to wake him. I'm so obnoxious, I know. He groans and opens his eyes that instantly meet with mine.

"What are you doing?" He mumbles, grabbing my hand before I can poke him again.

"You sleep like a rock." I chuckle.

"I just woke up and you're already insulting me?" He adds pulling me on top of him by my waist.

"That is my job as your girlfriend." I smile and lean down to kiss the dimples in his cheek. I sit back up and turn my head towards the door. "I smell bacon."

Hero and I walk down the hallway towards the kitchen where the rest of the house resides. They seem surprised to see us together with them.

"Good morning." Diana greets.

"Good morning." I say in return.

I grab a plate and serve myself a reasonable amount of food.

"Ella, sit with me." Leah says calling from the table. "Look at my doll, I painted her eyes black with a sharpie so she's now a demon."

I laugh at her cleverness.

"I thought those were Rowans dolls?" Hero laughs from across the table.

"I don't have dolls." Rowan defends. "They're called action figures."

"Same thing." Hero shrugs.

After breakfast I get ready to head back home.

"Hey, did you know Jason's dad beats him?" I ask Hero.

Hero shakes his head on our way into his car.

"Do you think it's true?"

"I could careless about that asshole." He sighs.

Geez I was just curious.

"Does Justin know about Danielle and Wyatt?" I add.

"Yeah." Hero simply replies.

"How is he still with her?"

I'm baffled by Justin's decision to keep trying with Danielle. She has a habit of cheating and I feel bad for the way she treats him.

"Because he loves her."

I look at Hero who's eyes are completely drawn to the road. I guess love is enough to keep someone from leaving, or is it? Silence fills the space and once we get to my house I tell Hero goodbye and head inside.

The next day I drive myself to school in my Prius, which feels somewhat nostalgic. It's been sitting in the garage for sometime now, I'm glad I never got rid of it.

I feel like the odd one out now that I don't have any friends. I just want to crawl into a ball and fade away because I know what everyone's thinking. On my way out of class I try to avoid Danielle and Justin who are coming my way.

They don't know I know which makes it that more difficult.

"Hey Ella." Danielle calls.

I can't even look at her.

"Ella." She repeats again, this time grabbing my arm to face her. "Are you deaf?"

I look between them and frown.

"Let's make this short. I don't want to be friends with you anymore, now please leave me alone." I simply reply.

"What?" She laughs behind me as I turn around.

"Really Danielle, you fucked Wyatt!" I shout at her. "You couldn't keep your legs shut for once?"

"He came on to me." She tries to defend.