Chapter 47 | things are done

My whole body is trembling in fear. With all of the calls I've made tonight I never thought it'd come to this.

I stayed locked up in Hero's room until the police arrived. They discovered the body of Henry in his study, with a single gunshot wound to the head. Families fall apart but Hero's gone through more loss than I could have ever imagined. I don't want to make excuses for him but a part of me can't help it.

The paramedics escort me to their truck and sit me inside. I look toward the house, red and blue lights flash against the pavement, attracting unnecessary attention.

I want to go home but I can't have Hero walking in there without knowing what happened. The police have tried contacting him as well, no luck.

"You're sure you'll be alright here miss?" And officer asks.

"I'll be okay." I nod, unsure of myself. I walk inside and close the door behind me. After heading into the kitchen I grab a cold glass of water. The tears start to pour down my face once reality sets in. It's not because Henry was some huge part of my life but because I'm so fucking sensitive that I can physically feel Hero's pain. But fuck him for leaving me here with no explanation, not even a single text.

My sobs are soon interrupted by the front door opening. I turn my head before walking in the same direction. I pause in my steps when I see Hero, eyes swollen and all.

When he comes close I put my hands against his chest so he keeps his distance.

"I needed you tonight." I tell him choking back my tears. "I've been up for hours waiting for a call, a text?"

My vision becomes blurry as the tears continue to build.

Hero frowns.

"Henry's dead." I whisper.

"I... I know." He answers. "I got the message."

I form my lips into a thin line and ball up my fists.

"You knew and you decide to show up after everything was taken care of, after the police interrogated me?" I cry out, unconsciously shoving him away. "I was worried you weren't coming back."

He runs his hands through his hair before his eyes turn red, I witness unfamiliar tears growing inside them.

"Please Ella." He grabs my hand and pulls me close. "Please don't leave, I've never needed someone as much as I need you right now."

His hands shake as he cups the sides of my face forcing me to look at him, I continue to cry.

"I'm sorry." He whispers. "I'm so fucking sorry."

His forehead rests against mine before he places a gentle kiss against the skin. It's comforting yet bittersweet, which quite sums up our relationship. I wrap my arms around him for a hug.

Once we've had enough we head upstairs and lie in bed without falling asleep.

Hero grabs onto my waist to close the space between us. He takes my hand up to his chest and looks at me.

"I love you."

The words escape his lips so effortlessly it's enough to understand he honestly means it.

"I love you." I whisper back.

"Even after everything?" He asks.

I rest my head against his hard chest and exhale.

"You are my everything." I tell him. "Only you could make me smile after having a bad day."

I chuckle into his neck before looking up at him.