Chapter 14 | go for a ride

As I'm making my way down the corridor to take a shorter exit to my car, I'm stopped by a familiar face in the parking lot, she looks confused and completely lost. I've never seen her in this type of state before it fills me with concern.

I bust through the two large metal doors and approach her and her eyes light up when they meet mine in desperation.

"Jess, where have you been?"

She turns her head left to right like she's expecting someone to jump out. "This whole thing has been a mess I just needed some time to think, especially since everyone's been praising me for exposing your secret. I don't want to be praised for that Ella and if my parents find out I've been drinking and spreading rumors they'll send me away."

"It doesn't matter anymore." I look to the side and then back at her.

"I need to tell you something-"

My phone starts to vibrate in my back pocket so Jess is cut short. I fish it out and read the screen that lights up with bold letters, it was my mother. I hope this wasn't another one of her failed attempts at parenting.

"We'll talk later." I tell Jess before answering my mother's call. I put it to my ear and begin walking toward my car. "Hello?"

"Ella, would you mind picking up your brother from school today? He'll be out in and hour or so, he's testing again."

"Yes I mind." I tell her. "Why can't you again?"

I sit inside my car and start up the engine.

"The Finley's asked if I could bring over that envelope of pictures you had, so I'll be heading there soon." She replies. "Thank you, I love you."

I hang up just before letting out a loud groan. It wasn't because I didn't like doing favors for my mother or that I hated picking up my little brother, I planned on going to Hero's after school to check up on the work he's been doing on Wyatt's car. I wanted to help him, it's the least I could do now that he offered to hand it over to me.

I also wanted to make sure he was okay. He didn't come to school today so I figured something was wrong. He's also been surprisingly helpful during these hard few days. I'm sure it's because he seems to be getting some benefit out of my company, one thing I've learned, Hero doesn't like being alone.

The way he spoke about his sisters, he clearly missed having them around to annoy him about Edward Cullen. Maybe that's why he resents his parents in some way, with them traveling around Hero doesn't get to live a normal life with his family.

He was here, all alone in that huge house. When I was with Wyatt, I never really thought about Hero's home life. I thought he was some spoiled rich boy with a smoking problem, he used girls, threw parties, scowled too often and hated my presence for some apparent reason?

I park my car outside his house, I figured I still had some time before I had to go pick up Benny I could just check up on Hero. I walk up the familiar steps and walk down the large driveway which leads to the back garage instead. To my luck the garage is wide open and I can hear music playing, Panic! At The Disco to be exact.

As I come closer, Hero comes into view and his grey eyes glance up at me. He looks a little angry, like he's thinking of and excuse to get rid of me.

"Hey." I chirp giving him a smile. I don't receive one in return so I drop the smile and raise my eyebrows. "You weren't at school today?"

"Obviously." He breathes out. Small beads of sweat cascade across the smooth skin on his shoulders. He's wearing a white muscle shirt that brings a lot of attention to his large toned biceps. He's also wearing black jeans that sit low at his waist, geez I can't help but look. "I'm kinda busy."