Chapter 22 | a sense of security

"Maybe we should go to the hospital?" I recommend. Hero's walking in front of me toward his car. He hasn't said a word. I'm helping Danielle and once we reach Hero's car I put her in the backseat.

"I'm fine." He answers, his perpetual glare is evident as he sits inside. I'm sure if we were alone this conversation would have gone in a complete different direction. "I told you to stay in the car."

"I know."

"No!" He shouts. "You don't know anything Ella."

I sink further into my seat at his harsh words before I give Hero the directions to Danielle's house. Hero doesn't reply back he just starts up the car and pulls onto the road.

I look out the window to see the cops escorting people from the party. Luckily they only asked us to leave which everyone hurried to do.

The ringing of his phone startles us in the silence.

"What?" He answers. "Ugh... yeah... i'll be there soon."

"What's wrong?" I ask, worry crossing my face

"I'll explain at the hospital." Hero says speeding up.

We pull into the designated medical center and Hero quickly gets out. "Just leave her here." He says pointing to Danielle who's asleep in the back.

I rush to his side and as we enter the building, what the hells going on? I grab Hero's hand in hopes of it comforting me or at least him.

"You made it?" A woman appears, the same woman I suspected to be Hero's mother. Her bright blue eyes look at me and I feel Hero release my hand. "What happened to you?"

"Where is he?" Hero changes the subject before she can get another word in.

"He's in the back, I haven't been able to go back yet." She tells him. "We should have stayed in California, you know how the weather effects him."

"No one asked you to come." Hero tells her.

"Don't be silly Hero, we're here for you and the Finley's." She looks at me again and smiles. "Who are you?"

I can hear Hero groan beside me in annoyance.

"I'm Ella." I reply.

"Ella, I remember you." She nods. "I knew your father, I'm Rachel."

"We'll be leaving then." Hero says. "Don't call me unless it's actually important."

Hero walks away. I know he's only angry but that doesn't mean he isn't responsible for his actions.

"Is it your dad?" I ask him. "Who's in the hospital?"

Hero shakes his head. "Let's just get your friend home."

I take Danielle up to her front door and knock a few times before I tell her goodbye, I then once again join Hero back inside the car.

"That was stupid, what you did back at the party." Hero says training his focus on the road.

"I couldn't let them hurt you."

"Why not?" He shrugs.

"Because... I just couldn't." I sigh.

"This nights gone to complete shit." He mutters.

"I had fun. Well at the gig we went to." I look at him hoping he'll turn and see I'm trying to comfort him. "Hey." I say, it comes out as a whisper.

"Yeah?" He says.

"Do you mind if I spend the night?"