Chapter 05 | i was intoxicated

The house was quiet when I arrived home from school. I don't often come home this early. I'm always stuck at practice or planning some sort of event for student council.

I didn't feel like doing any of that today.

I left the property before I had the chance to talk to Danielle or Jess. It was Friday night, the first Friday night I'd be spending without Wyatt. I assume my best friends had plans and going out seemed a lot better than moping around here.

I should reward myself anyway. I made it through an entire day of school and I only cried twice. I'd say that's an accomplishment worth something. So in our group chat I send them a quick message letting them know I'll be at the party tonight.

Drinking my sorrows away wasn't the best idea but it was the best distraction.

I change out of my school clothes and decide to go for something a little more appealing. I grab some ripped jeans and a black top to pair with some black booties.

I take my hair out of its ponytail tail and my waves fall onto my shoulders. I loosely run my fingers through it because I know brushing it will only cause it to became a huge frizzy mess.

Jess and Danielle both text me back shortly after I'm done getting ready. They'll also be at the party so we plan to arrive around ten. It was only five o'clock so I had some time to catch up on my work like I planned to do earlier, before Hero distracted me.

I look through my school bag to fish for some things. A deep furrow forms between my brows when I feel something unfamiliar sitting at the bottom. My fingers grasp the object and I pull it out. The lines on my forehead are brushed away when I realize it's Wyatt's sunglasses. These were his favorite sunglasses to wear whenever we went to the beach. They usually sat on the dashboard inside his Camaro.

He must have left them behind sometime last week.

I feel my throat close.

Last week...

We'd just been together last week. I remember every second of it. He was nervous about a math test he had coming up. I tutored him everyday so he was prepared. He took that test last Friday and he was so excited to get his results back.

My mind begins to wander...

"Hey, how was school?" My mother enters my bedroom and takes a seat at the edge of my bed. "Going somewhere?"

"There's a party tonight I thought I'd swing by for a while and school was fine. I'm just getting some stuff done before I leave." I tell her.

"Wyatt isn't gone honey you know that right? He'll always be a part of your life, just like your father." She gives me a warm loving smile. "They'll always be around."

I avoid looking into her eyes.

My dad died when I was twelve, he suffered from asthma and developed a disease in his lungs that kept him from breathing normally. He always had to carry around a large oxygen tank and one day he developed an infection in his lungs. I can faintly remember the times I saw him coughing up blood. It terrified me, not long after he was gone.

____

I grab my phone and look at the time. It had just struck ten o'clock so I grab my keys and head downstairs. My two brothers start hitting me with their lightsabers and follow me until I reach the door.

I quickly put the location into my phone and follow the directions. Twenty minutes later I arrive at the house. I park beside the curb and hop out, locking the doors behind me.

Jess and Danielle were here somewhere although I can't imagine they were together.

They're feud started around a month ago. Danielle claims Jess was jealous of her relationship with Justin. So Jess got furious when she started hearing that rumor around school. They just won't let up.