Chapter 46 | goodbye

Hero and I are standing outside without saying a word to each other. I think we need the silence to think but also the company of one another so we don't feel alone.

We lean against his car in deep thought.

I'm debating on whether I should leave or pressure him into telling me where he was today. I don't know what Hero's thinking, while I'm sure he knows my thoughts exactly. I never know what he's thinking.

Our heads look up to see the remaining guests leaving. Rachel and Henry follow behind them before stopping and looking toward us. Henry looks disappointed, I look at Hero and see guilt wash over him. He looks away and frowns at the ground to hide his remorse.

"I'm gonna go." I speak up.

Hero finally looks at me and shrugs.

My lips form into a thin line as I turn around, I try to keep myself from snapping at him.

"There's a party tonight, I was gonna go anyway so you might as well come." Hero suddenly speaks up.

I slowly turn around with a thought in mind.

"By party I hope you mean your sisters birthday party?"

Hero rolls his eyes.

"They're probably asleep by now." He quietly answers.

"I'm sure she'd love to see her big brother." I try to convince him and walk closer. "You'd love to see her too."

Hero sighs, looking away and then back at me. "We'll drive by."

I smile. "And if they're awake we'll get down and say hello."

We make our way around town before entering a neighborhood I'm unfamiliar with. Hero eventually pulls up to a house and looks across the street.

"It's the grey one." He says.

I look ahead and see the small family home. Two cars are parked in the driveway one being a black truck and the other a silver coupe. The lights seem to be on inside so I assume they're awake.

"Let's get down." I tell him.

"No." He answers.

"Hero." I say.

"I can't see them." Hero looks me in the eyes and I see the fear in them.

"It'll be okay." I put my hand over his for comfort. "You're here for Leah."

Hero looks back at the house before hesitantly stepping out. I understand how hard this is for him, I don't know what happened between him and his father but it couldn't have been good.

I take his hand in mine as we approach the front door. I'm the one to reach my hand out and knock, I can hear voices on the other side of the door which tells me they're close.

Hero turns to look toward the street to avoid the person beyond this door. It suddenly opens and a tall figure steps between the doorway. He leans against the frame, playfully smirking.

"Look who's back." The tall man in front of me scoffs.

I look at Hero who's tightly clenching his jaw.

"Who's your friend?" He asks looking me up and down. I shift uncomfortably and find myself moving closer toward Hero.

"I'm Ella." I say before Hero forces us to leave. "Hero's girlfriend, you must be...?"

"Rowan." The man smiles. "Hero's brother."

I don't want to seem shocked although I am because I had no clue.