Chapter 21 | a night to forget

I had no clue what to wear. Without any details on where Hero was taking me I didn't know what attire would be appropriate? I eventually settle for skinny jeans a black top. It's late so I assume it's getting cold out so I grab a jacket and wait downstairs.

"Can I go with you?" Felix asks, he's twirling my hair around his fingers and tugging on it which I just finished curling. "Pwease?"

I look at him and grab his small little hands from pulling out anymore of my hair. "Next time, okay?"

We're interrupted by the loud roar of Hero's car pulling into the driveway. I stand up from the couch and Felix jumps off trailing behind me. There's a knock on the door as soon as I approach it. I twist the knob and pull it open.

Hero stands in front of the doorway with his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket. His expression is neutral which is a good sign. He's wearing a white t shirt underneath the jacket and dark jeans, looking undeniably attractive.

I can hear Felix running away at the sight of Hero.

"You're late." I say, it's already half passed nine.

"I know now are you ready to go?" He asks.

I open my mouth to speak but I'm cut off.

"You must be Hero?" My mother comes up from behind me. "I remember you."

Hero glances between us and nods his head.

"Don't worry I'll have Ella home by eleven." Hero tells her flashing me a smirk.

"Okay you two be careful." She nods. "See you later sweetheart I love you."

I run over to Hero's side before she can grab me in her arms. I wave goodbye as she closes the door behind us.

"Sorry about that." I apologize shaking my head from the thought.

"Sorry for what? Having a mother that cares about you?" Hero looks down and laughs lightly. "C'mon."

I'm glad he's comfortable around me again. These last few days have had us budding heads over every little thing we didn't agree on. Hero always keeps his guard up and I wonder what truth he's afraid of facing?

Unexpectedly, Hero reaches for my hand and our fingers lace together as he leads me to his car. Except this isn't Hero's car it's Wyatt's. I hesitate and grip his hand a bit tighter.

"You finished it?" I huff.

"Yeah, Of course, I wouldn't have done it without you knowing what a wrench looked like."

I playfully hit his chest and I can already feel my eyes welling with tears. "Thank you Hero." These weren't sad tears, they were happy ones. Hero isn't what everyone expects and I think that's what's so interesting about him. He has you guessing which also makes it terrifying. He's done all of this for his best friend, I can't help but think he's even done all of this for me.

"You're welcome Ella." He smiles and wraps his arms around me for a short embrace. Once we separate Hero opens the passenger side door for me and I reluctantly take my seat inside.

Once Hero's inside he glances at me and gives me a reassuring nod. The car comes to life before he pulls out of the driveway.

"Where are we going?" I ask glances sideways at him.

"You'll find out when we get there." He asserted.

I roll my eyes in reply.

"Are you feeling better?"

Hero takes my hand in a hasty grasp and tenderly strokes it with his thumb. I usually have a million things running through my mind but, at this moment it was clear and all I could think about was him.