Chapter 06 | a night to remember

He was something solid to lean against. Something violent and unmoving, but in the end we're all just humans drunk on the idea that love and only love could heal us.

Our lips part and I stare into his eyes. Our chests are rising heavily as we try to catch are breath. I'm lost, so lost that I was willing to do anything I could to forget about Wyatt. The memories are still present and I drown in them.

"I'm sorry-" I move away from him and run my hands through my hair. "That was obviously the alcohol talking."

Hero licks his lips and flashes me a smirk. I really just kissed him? Hero Adams? Wyatt's best friend?

"I should get going." I add making my way over to the door. I twist the knob but before I even open it Hero steps beside me and puts his hand against it to stop me. "Hero I'm serious I really need to go."

"Do you always run away from confrontation like this?" His eyes narrow at me and he steps a bit closer. "It wasn't the alcohol talking, it was you."

I stand still, lost for words.

"You're perfect I get it, at least that's what you try to be." Hero's lips inch closer to my ear and I feel shivers run down my spine. "Maybe one day you'll find the happiness you pretend to have."

"You act like you know me but you don't." I begin saying pushing myself away from him again. "You think you can come into my life out of nowhere and tell me how fake I am? If I'm so obnoxiously fake then why did you kiss me back?"

Hero dips his head down to my level and smiles, flashing his pearly white teeth at me.

"People get drunk, they kiss the wrong person because they'll do anything to distract their heart. They'll do anything to distract it from missing someone. You weren't the only one that lost someone that night and you aren't the only pretending to be okay."

So he admits the truth, clearly the kiss didn't mean anything, it was nothing but a distraction for the both of us.

"Is this wrong I mean Wyatt's gone and we just-" I start to nervously bite my fingernails thinking about the horrible mistake I've just made. "We can't tell anyone about this."

Hero nods his head in agreement. "Your dirty little secret is safe with me."

"Not the time for jokes." I tell him but I can't help but smile at the smug grin on his lips.

"Okay then do you want to go enjoy the party outside or stay in here and admire me all day?" He chuckles and I playfully hit his arm as I begin heading for the door once again. To my relief he doesn't stop me this time and we both walk out.

We part ways as I try to find my friends again. I was sobered up now which made it a lot easier to recognize faces. I soon find Beverley and Sofie and ask them if they've seen Dani or Jess.

"Actually they were just here, must have left." Bev tells me putting a spliff to her lips. "Want a hit?"

I shake my head and before I can turn around to continue my search the music stops. "Cat fight outside everyone!"

Fuck.

I head into the crowd that's making it's way outside into the front yard. They start circling around two girls, my best friends. They are both drunk cursing at each other. I step out of the crowd and make my way over to them.