Chapter 20 | hang out as friends

I wake up to the sound of birds singing and a throbbing headache. I dress into a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt. My hairs pulled up into a messy bun and my mascara from the previous day is smeared underneath my eyes.

When I walk into school I exchange glances with my classmates who don't seem to understand this was my breaking point. I didn't care anymore, I didn't even wanna show up to the funeral tomorrow.

"El." Danielle looks confused. "What happened?"

"Nothing." I shrug nonchalantly. I even give her a smile and stroll on into homeroom. The expressions I receive aren't much different in here either. Everyone looks worried and horrified at my state.

Hero walks in shortly after I take my seat and I ignore him completely. I know he notices the difference in my appearance. Hero was very observant I'm convinced he can read minds like Edward Cullen.

"Good morning, will anyone like to present their paper first?" Mrs Young asks. My peers all shrink in their seats and I confidently raise my hand. "Ella."

I stand up and walk to the front of the class. I'm not intimidated or shy in front of them. I am class president and cheer captain after all, I've adapted to eyes watching me. I look down at the paper held together with a few stitches of tape and take a deep breath.

"Your eyes are like silver and when you're angry they turn to dust. Your words are like knives and when you speak I bleed at the touch. Your sleeve shares a story only you understand. I hope to read it one day but I don't think that I can-"

I pause when I feel myself choking on the words. Hero's looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"You smoked. You drove too fast for your own good. You didn't care because no one taught you how. You say you enjoy hurting people, but I never believed that, not for one second."

I don't continue, instead I place the essay on Mrs Young's desk and make my way back to my seat.

"Did you actually write that?" Hero asks once I sit down.

I look at him. "No."

"You just made all that up?"

"I turned in the essay about Dylan, I made up that poem about you."

"Where's the essay about me then?"

"I put it through the shredder." I answer.

I was slightly drunk last night thinking about Hero's stupid face so I decided to shred the essay I wrote about him. Then I regretted it afterward but it was too late. I taped up Dylan's shitty essay and here we are.

Only a few other students are willing to present their work. Hero's unconscious, he has his hood over his head which covers his eyes. His earbuds are plugged in which block out the rest of the class. His chest steadily rises every so often in his sleep. I'm curious to read his essay which isn't even out. I want to know what he wrote about me. What if he didn't do the essay?

"Great job everyone."

I stand out of my seat and lightly tap Hero on his shoulder. I should have walked away and left him here to sleep. Hero glances up at me with dark and sleepless eyes. He tears the earbuds out and stands up.

"Where's your essay?" I ask him, watching him grab his bag off the ground to throw over his shoulder.

"I don't have one." He shrugs.

"Why not?" I continue.

"Because I didn't want to write about you." He growls at me. We're in the hallway now and I don't say anything, I just awkwardly stand there in the crowd of people. I look behind Hero and spot Jason with his accomplices walking this way.