Chapter 35 | i love you

It's Monday morning, I offered to pick up Hero for school but he had already called Justin to do so. I get to school quite early so I won't miss them when they arrive.

Justin's car pulls into the parking lot and parks in the front so Hero can get out. I walk over to him and try to help him but he decides against it.

"Hey Ella." Justin waves and I wave back, Hero's already walking away so I chase after him.

"Is something wrong?" I say.

Hero looks at me and shakes his head. "I don't need you looking after me all day Ella, we can't have them knowing, remember?"

"Right." I mutter. That was my own stupid idea.

"You're sure you don't need any help?" I ask one last time just to make sure as I open the door for him.

"I'll be fine." He assures me. "Now go away."

I laugh. "We can still be friends at school."

"I changed my mind."

Asshole, a fucking—amazing—attractive one at best.

"See you in homeroom Hero."

He bites his lip at me as I walk away.

"Hey." Danielle stops in front of me. "Are you going to tell me why the hell you were in California with Hero?"

"What, he just asked if I could tag along."

"What made you think that was a good idea? Hero's done nothing but make you feel like you need him. He's brainwashed you into thinking he's actually good."

I can't believe this is coming from her. I expected this from Jess but not Danielle, if she's felt that way this whole time why hasn't she said anything?

"I saw how miserable you were when he left, I just think you guys are getting a little too close and he's going to end up leaving again which will crush you."

"I'll be fine Danny. Hero's my friend." I laugh it off but take what she says into consideration.

"Okay good." She sighs in relief.

I nod and head to homeroom, my smile fading as I think about him leaving again. He wouldn't?

I sit down and drop my bag on the floor. Hero walks in after most of the class is seated and people start to whisper. There's a brunette walking in with him, holding his bag, the same brunette I remember from the party a month ago now. I uncomfortably shift in my seat and look away.

"Thanks." I hear Hero tell her.

"You're welcome."

I can see her walking out of the room from the corner of my eye. to my surprise Hero and I get through the rest of class without talking. I see what he's trying to do, make me jealous.

When the bell rings I give him a friendly smile and rush out of the room, acting like I could care less.

My classes go by seemingly slowly than usual today. I get to our lunch table where Hero's already sitting with Justin and Danielle. Then there she is, the brunette from earlier.

What the fuck?

"Hey." I awkwardly say as I sit next to Danielle. I would have normally sat next to Hero but he seems occupied by the brunette.

"What was your name again?" Justin asks her.

"Faith." She answers, her voice is sweet, too sweet.

"Babe can you go get me some napkins?" Justin asks Danielle.

"What, go get your own napkins." She tells him.