Chapter 37 | do you miss him

I don't have to pretend like Hero's my friend any longer. I know how people will react, they'll either be rude, possibly jealous, confused or happy for me?

Most likely rude.

They can call me whatever they want, I don't care. I was happy and they couldn't take that away from me.

"You're sure you want to hold my hand today?" Hero teases. "In front of everyone?"

I roll my eyes and playfully hit his arm. "Don't make me change my mind."

"That's not the only thing I could make you do." He says low enough that only I can hear him say it. We walk inside Lincoln High with our fingers intertwined. Hero's walking much better now so he doesn't need the crutches but I still walk slow enough for him.

He's surprisingly healing pretty fast which is great of course. He thinks he'll be able to walk perfectly normal by next week, I guess he was just lucky.

"Ella."

Jess steps in front of me before looking between Hero and I.

"There's a fundraiser this Saturday to raise money for our senior trip next week." She hands me a flyer. "The car wash we planned? Anyway, the whole cheer team will be there and the jocks of course."

"I almost forgot." I mention. "I'll be there."

Jess gives me a shy smile and waves goodbye as she disappears into the cafeteria.

"Car wash?" Hero asks, his eyebrows drawing together.

"Yeah, we've been planning it for a while." I say, I continue to walk to homeroom with him.

"Where's the senior trip?"

"The schools renting a few cabins in the mountains by some lake." I tell him. "Of course it's secluded which means there's bound to be parties every night."

"Yeah, I don't do camping." He laughs.

"Oh c'mon it'll be fun, it's the best time to camp with spring coming up." 

He gives me a sideways glance while contemplating the idea. I suppose camping wouldn't be a Hero thing but that doesn't mean he shouldn't try it.

"You can bring your guitar to sing us a couple songs around the fire?" I taunt, squeezing his hand a little tighter. "Please?"

"I can't have you running off to some camp alone, so fine... I'll go."

I smile and jump up on my tiptoes to kiss him.

Classes are like usual, there's already gossip spreading around like wild fire that Hero and I are a thing. Danielle's been ignoring me which I expected. It's always been difficult for her to forgive people who do her wrong, not that I did anything wrong.

The days go by like this, Justin and Danielle literally turn corners when they see us. Jess talks to me more often but not to the extent where we're best friends again.

My life was starting to steady itself again.

I'm standing in front of the mirror, looking at myself in a white two peace bikini. I know most of the girls on the cheer team will have the tiniest bathing suits to show off their assets. My C cups seem too large for this top I'm afraid I'll have and accidental nip slip.

"Ella, Hero's here!" My mother calls.

I grab a pair of shorts and slip them on just as the door opens, Hero walks into the room staring at me from head to toe. His curious eyes give me a moment to breath as he walks to my bed.