Chapter 55 | i went to prom

Danielle hadn't showed up to school the rest of the week. Knowing her, she didn't have the courage to face those around her. They knew, everyone knew what had happened.

The day of prom I was pampered to perfection by my mother. There still wasn't any news about the case between Hero and Jason. I don't think they've put any effort into it. I tried asking for permission so Hero could attend prom but it didn't work. They believe he could be a threat to students.

Oh trust me, he is.

"Pictures!" My mother shouts.

"Great." I mutter. Justin and I awkwardly stand beside each other and wait for her to finish. Once she is done we head outside and I take one last look around before heading into the limo. He never showed and I can't say I'm surprised.

Hero had been a bit distant all week, working longer shifts at the shop so we never had time to talk. He mentioned Henry's funeral which I think has something to do with it. I know he still tries contacting his mother but she hasn't picked up.

"Want a drink?" Justin asks handing me a flask but I refuse.

When we arrive we sit at our own table and I try to fake a smile.

This isn't fun.

I shouldn't be feeling miserable right now.

I ask Justin to dance but even then I'm stumbling, making a complete fool of myself. About and hour later Beverley and Sofie stop by to say hi. Our relationship hasn't been the same since Wyatt's funeral.

"Do you want to go to the after party?" Justin asks.

So that's where everyone was heading?

"No, can you take me home?"

"Yeah." He nods.

It's dark and cold outside but Justin generously offers his coat. All of a sudden I see Hero in the parking lot. His hair is slicked back and he's wearing black pants with a black button up shirt. He completes the look with his beat up converse I've come to admire.

A crack a smile, walking towards him. His eyes meet with mine and I see him smirk. I turn my head to see Justin leaving us behind.

"Did you plan this?" I find myself asking. Hero holds his hand out and takes it in mine.

"I couldn't let you end your night without a dance." He says. He pulls out his phone and presses play. My ears ring as Apocalypse by Cigarettes After Sex starts to play from inside his car.

"I thought you don't dance?" I say.

"You'll come to find that I don't like doing a lot of things." He wraps his arms around me and begins to sway.

I lay my head on his chest and close my eyes, feeling so content in this moment. I didn't think he'd do all of this for me. I know it doesn't seem like much but coming from him it was more than enough.

"The song..." I say.

"You don't like it?" Hero quickly interrupts.

I shake my head. "No, it's perfect."

We got back to his house later that night.

"Can you unzip me?" I ask. He doesn't say anything but generously helps pull the zipper down my back. He kisses the back of my shoulder as the dress falls to my hips and I step out of it. I change into his T-shirt and slide underneath the covers with him.

It's dark but I can see his face with the moonlight peeking through the curtains. He looks a bit broken and I can't help but wonder why. I give him a weak smile but he just stares at me with no expression at all.