Chapter 50 | everything right

"Can school end already?" Danielle whines. "I'm ready to dropout and we only have four weeks left."

"Oh suck it up I'm the one who's pregnant here." Jess sighs, sitting across the lunch table from us. I nod in response completely agreeing with her. "And since the two of you quit student council I'm left planning prom."

Danielle and I exchange glances, trying to avoid eye contact with Jess. Jess has been a lot grumpier considering her hormones are all out of wack.

"There you guys are." Danielle calls out.

Hero and Justin approach the table and take their seats.

"You actually got yourself lunch today?" Hero teases.

I roll my eyes and playfully shove him.

"We were just talking about prom." Danielle says.

"I hate school dances." Hero replies.

"You've never even been to one." Justin laughs.

"Exactly, because I hate them. I mean the guy has to do a whole thing just to impress a girl and buy the tickets and dinner? It's pretty sexist if you ask me."

"You have a point." I nonchalantly shrug.

"So what you can't pay for some measly dinner and a couple tickets? Oh but we have to endure pregnancy, periods and all kinds of shit!" Jess shouts. "Men are scum!"

We look at her with wide eyes.

"Maybe you should take the rest of the day off?" Danielle tells her.

"No." Jess stands up. "I have to go plan this fucking pro—"

Jess clutches her stomach and her face contorts, the fear in her eyes isn't hard to miss. Without hesitation I get up and walk toward her.

"Something's wrong." She mutters.

"Let's get you home." I say.

"No Ella... something's really wrong."

I nod my head and we lead her outside. After getting her into Justin's truck, Hero and I follow behind them towards the hospital. When we arrive Jess seems a lot worse, she's crying and groaning unlike anything I've ever witnessed.

A nurse sits her in a wheelchair and takes her back for examination. I worriedly stand there and wait for her to come back.

Hero wraps his arms around me and coaxes me to take a seat.

"I hope the baby's okay." I tell Hero.

He doesn't say anything probably afraid he'll say the wrong thing.

"She'll be okay." Danielle says nodding her head. "It could be anything?"

Half and hour later the nurse walks out and finds us in the lobby.

"Your friend isn't allowing us to call her parents so that leaves the four of you, you're her friends I assume?" The nurse asks.

We nod our heads, well only three of us do. Hero doesn't do anything but stand beside me.

"Jessica had a miscarriage, it's not uncommon for young girls at fourteen weeks to miscarry. She hasn't spoken a word since but I'm sure she'd appreciate you guy's in there during this time."