Chapter 24 | don't be with me

I'm definitely not putting those heels back on so I'm literally barefoot, wearing my dress and Hero's sweatshirt on top of it. I also brushed my tangled hair so it doesn't look like a complete mess and fixed my makeup.

I feel a bit too at home here, it's weird.

Hero's not shy to hold my hand or anything like he usually is. He actually keeps me rather close afraid he's going to lose me in the crowds of people. We enter the kitchen and I look at all the food Hero's parents catered.

Multiple people are standing around grabbing plates of food or just casually talking. Hero hands me a plate which I graciously take.

"I'm starving." I practically moan at the thought. "Don't look at me like that."

We both laugh while I start taking some fried rice from a dish. This Chinese food looks amazing, my tastebuds are starting to tingle.

"Someone's hungry." Hero teases looking down at my plate, it's not even that full he just enjoys teasing me.

I playfully stick my tongue out at him.

I reach for and egg roll which is one of the last ones, just as another pair of fingers grab it. I look up and see a pair of blue eyes looking back at me. His eyebrows furrow like he's waiting for me to give it up.

I awkwardly take it and he grabs my wrist. Hero instantly drops his plate on the counter and steps forward which scares the guy, so he stumbles back.

"That was the last one." The guy defends. "I had it first."

"I don't give a damn if she took it from your plate, it's hers now." Hero sneers, his eyes becoming hooded as he glares at him.

"It's fine." I tell Hero. "You can have it."

"No." Hero demands.

People are staring.

"Thanks sweetheart." The boy winks and takes it from my plate. I grab onto Hero's bicep because I know in some unexplained way my touch calms him down. He could have easily punched him but decides against it.

"Thank you." I tell Hero.

Hero gives me a blank stare before a small smile creeps up on his lips. We head to the outside balcony again where tables are now being set up. There's quite a lot of people out here smoking or eating.

My family is also out here sitting with Wyatt and Hero's family. Beside their table is where Justin and Danielle are sitting with Beverly and Sofie who are talking with two unrecognizable guys.

I assume Justin and Danielle have made up because they are smiling and laughing together. Hero and I sit with them and I look at Beverley who has a hint of envy on her face.

It's not like I took Hero from her, he didn't want her. It's not like he wants me either, we're just friends.

"You two look awfully close." Beverley starts. "That didn't take long at all, even after Wyatt died?"

"I smell desperation." Danielle tells her.

I laugh lightly.

"I'm not the desperate one here, I could have had Hero anytime or day." She smiles, as if she wins anything from it?

"I'm going to grab a plate of food." Danielle rolls her eyes. "Let's go babe."