Chapter 51 | good for him

Hero's POV

"Didn't think you'd be back." Tommy calls from the kitchen. It's clear he's talking to me as I walk by. I turn my heel to face him but choose to look at the ground instead.

"You think I wasn't coming back?" I scoff, I don't know how to respond without hurting someone's feelings around here.

"That's not what I meant Hero, I just don't know who my son is." He sighs. "Last time I checked you had a habit of not coming home."

"Well I'm not my mother anymore... at least I'm trying not to be." I respond, almost mumbling the words.

"She hasn't called?"

I finally look up and meet his eyes from across the room.

I shake my head and shrug. "The calls go straight to voicemail."

Tommy shakes his head in disappointment.

"I'm gonna go to bed." I say taking a few steps back. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Tommy calls back.

When I get to my room I close the door behind me and pull my shirt over my head. I sit at the edge of my bed and pull out my phone.

I try calling her for the fourth time this week in hopes of and answer. This is how Ella must feel whenever she calls me? There's no answer once again which doesn't surprise me anymore.

I should just stop waiting for her, she wasn't coming back.

Ella's POV

The next morning, Hero and I enter homeroom and take our designated seats. Mrs Young goes over today's assignment which is pretty much a paper about our plans after graduation.

The class is interrupted when the door opens and a guy walks in with a huge sign and a bouquet of flowers.

"Prom?" He asks a girl in the front row.

The girl nods her head and runs into his arms like he's proposing. Everyone even starts to clap except for Hero and I who are sitting completely still. There's no doubting, I want to go to prom but Hero seems against it all.

He gently kicks my shoe to keep my from my daze and I look up at him and smile, knowing damn well he knows.

"I have to find Danielle but I'll see you at lunch." I tell Hero as we walk out of class.

"Okay." He says before kissing my cheek, I feel myself blush at his touch.

I turn the other direction and quickly spot Danielle down the hall. I cut her off and greet Justin who's standing beside her.

"Hey I have a crazy idea and I need your advice." I say while we continue walking. "I think I wanna ask Hero to prom."

"Why would you ask Hero to prom?" Danielle chuckles. "He should be asking you."

"No I think that's a great idea. Hero hates school dances but he can't say no to Ella. Besides that whole talk at the table yesterday shows how disinterested he is, and it's different." Justin admits. "It clearly shows Ella's taking authority."

"When did you become so wise?" Danielle asks.

Justin rolls his eyes. "I've been wise, but no one ever listens to me."