Let Me Teach You (Kris Letang x Reader)

You had been dating elite defenceman Kris Letang for a few months now, and you had a secret, a very bad secret:

You didn't know how to skate.

In the beginning, it never came up and the longer the two of you had were together...well, you just couldn't tell him that you couldn't skate because how could you date a professional hockey player and not even be able to skate?

But, the thing about secrets is that they can only be kept for so long...

Kris discovered your secret when one Wednesday night. The Penguins had a home streak, which was nice because it meant more time with Kris, which was why the two of you were having dinner at his place.

"We're having a community skate Sunday morning." Kris said, casually as he sipped on his wine.

You forced a smile. "That's nice! I'm sure the kids will love that."

Kris nodded. "I assume you'll be coming with us? A lot of the boys take their wives and girlfriends and kids to the community skates."

You smile and nodded. "You know, I just don't know if I should?"

Kris frowned. "Why?"

"Um..." You paused, quickly trying to come up with an explanation. "I..."

Kris furrowed his brows as he looked at you for a moment because his lips twitched upwards a bit. "You do know how to skate, don't you?"

Your eyes widened in panic and Kris burst out laughing. "That's hilarious. I'm sorry, but wow. Why didn't you tell me?"

You sighed and put your head in your hands. "Because you're a hockey player! And a fucking good one! How am I supposed to look you in the eye and tell you that I don't know how to skate?"

Kris's laugh faded and he reached across the table to put his hand on your arm. "Like this: "Kris, I don't know how to skate. Can you teach me?""

You raised your head out of your hand to look at him. "You would teach me?"

Kris gave you an offend expression. "Of course I would."

You smiled and took his hand into yours. Kris smiled back and pressed a kiss to your hand. "Now, do you have skates?"

And you didn't. So, the next day after morning practice, Kris took you out to buy skates (and knee and elbow pads, and a helmet, and gloves, and a stick). He went overboard to say the least, but it was cute.

Then, packed yours and his skates into a bag with the pads and grabbed the sticks and a few pucks and took you to the PPG Paints Arena.

"You know, you're supposed to be teaching me to skate, not going to practice, right?" You had told him when you saw what he was packing.

Kris shrugged. "I just figured you would get the hang of it quickly and then maybe you'd want to try some hockey with a "fucking good hockey player" as you said yesterday."

You shoved him and he laughed.

At the arena, Kris dropped the bag on the bench and helped you to put on your skates before putting on his own. He had insisted that you wear all the padding but you glared at him.

"I'm not a child, I can handle it. And, plus, I'm not going to fall, right? You're going to catch me?" You said, only lightly threatening your boyfriend.

Kris smiled. "Of course I'll catch you."

Kris went on the ice first and held his hand out to you, which you took, keeping your other hand on the boards and stepped out onto the ice. You slipped immediately and your eyes went wide before you quickly let go of Kris's hand to hold the boards with both hands. Kris bit his lip to stop from laughing.

"Do I have to learn?!" You shouted, wanting to get off the ice.

Kris skated to your other side so you could see him and put his hand on your lower back. "Baby, come on. Take my hand and let go of the boards."

You shook your head. "No. I'm good right here."

You shifted your feet to try to get off the ice and slipped. You would have hit the ice, but Kris caught you and pulled you back up to your feet, his arms wrapped tightly around you so you wouldn't fall. You gripped his shirt with white knuckles and wide eyes.

"Baby..." He whispered.

"This is why I didn't tell you!" You huffed.

Kris laughed a little. "It's scary trying anything for the first time. But it's okay, I got you. You're not going to fall."

You nodded your head but still didn't move.

"How about I loosen my grip and skate backwards? You don't move your feet or anything, just let me move you so you get used to the feeling?" Kris suggested and you nodded.

Kris loosened his grip and you loved your hand down to hold his arms and he started to slowly skate backwards. He took you around the ice a few times until you started to laugh.

Kris smiled at you. "Now try moving your feet like mine and skate with me?" He said as he kept skating backwards.

You did as he said and the two of you slowly skated together. And eventually you were able to let go of Kris and just skate beside him.

"Okay, now we should do some stopping." Kris said and your smile fell.

"Do I have to? Like do I really have to?" Learning to stop meant failing to stop which meant falling or hitting the boards or both. Kris smiled at you and nodded and you sighed.

"Stopping is easy, okay? You just turn like this and stop." Kris said as he demonstrated.

""Stopping is easy" says the NHL All Star." You mocked.

Kris didn't have time to reply because the two of you were interrupted.

"Looks like I wasn't the only one looking for some ice time, eh?" Sidney said, leaning on the bench.

You yelped in surprise and fell backwards on to your ass. Kris rushed over to you and helped you up, holding you close to his chest, flipping Sidney off behind your back.

"I'm sorry! Didn't mean to startle you." Sid replied, holding his hands up in surrender. "It is kinda funny that your girlfriend doesn't know how to skate though." He continued with a laugh.

"Are the sticks on the bench still?" You asked Kris as you turned around to glare at Sidney.

Kris furrowed his brows but nodded. "Yeah?"

"And how long is a slashing penalty?"

"Two minutes?" Kris answered, still confused.

You nodded and let go of Kris to skate over to Sidney.

"Oh shit. (Y/N), no!" Kris laughed and skated after you.