Not Ready To Say Goodbye (Mat Barzal x Reader)

"Hi, my name is (Y/N), ca—" You started as you approached your next table, but stopped as soon as you realized who was sitting at your table. "Woah..."

"Hey." Mat said, smiling back at you.

You cleared your throat and smiled. "Sorry, I uh, you just caught me off guard."

Mat laughed a little. "I'm taking it you know who we are?"

You nodded your head. "Yeah, I do. I've been a fan of the Islanders since I was little. My dad used to take me to the games where you—they played here in Buffalo."

"Does that mean you're going to be at the game tonight?" Tito asked.

You pulled your eyes away from Mat to look at Tito and shook your head. "I wish. Between school and rent and this job, I can't afford to go see you guys. I promise I'll be cheering you on from my couch though, okay?"

You forced a smile to the guys. You hadn't been to an Islanders game in a long time and every time they were in town, you really wanted to go. It just brought back a lot of fond childhood memories, and, well, Mat Barzal had become your favourite player this past season. You loved to watch him on the ice and you really wished you could see in play in real life. But, you didn't think that would happen, and you sure as hell didn't think that you would meet him.

"Anyways," you said with a smile, pulling the conversation away from your lack of tickets. "What can I get you boys to drink?"

"Just a water please." Tito said with a smile.

You nodded and looked over to Mat. "And yourself?" You asked when he didn't say anything.

"Oh um, I'll have a water, too, thanks." Mat said, being pulled back from his thoughts.

You nodded and went to get them their waters. The entire time they were there, you made sure to keep a very close eye on them and get them anything they needed. To be honest, you checked up on them more than you needed to, you just couldn't help yourself. Your favourite players from your favourite team were in right there!

And, by the time you were getting the boys their bill, you had talked with them quite a bit and they gave you a very big tip, which was nice. Tito was half way out the door when Mat stopped in his tracks, turned around and walked back over to you, tapping on your shoulder.

"One minute and I'll be right with you." You said without looking up from the computer, as you were currently inputting an order.

"How ca—" You started but stopped with a smile when you noticed who it was. "Oh hey, long time no see. How can I help you?"

Mat smiled. "I was actually wondering if you wanted to go to the game tonight?"

Your smile fell and you stood straight up in surprise. "Really?"

Mat's smile widened and he nodded. "Yeah, I think can get you in. And plus, we need more Islanders fans in those stands."

"I would really like that." You said giving him a bright smile.

Mat nodded. "What time does your shift end?"

"At five." You answered.

Mat nodded. "I'll be back with a ticket before then, I promise."

"Thank you so much." Was the only thing you could say to him and you meant every word.

Mat smile softly. "Don't worry about it." Then he turned and walked back out the door to where Tito was waiting.