88

A month into university, Michael was still hating it. He hated it more than anything. It wasn't the right program for him. This wasn't what he wanted. He was only going because he was paying for it.

"Hey, babe. You there?" Laura chuckles, answering the FaceTime call.

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I zoned out. Hey, babe." Michael smiles.

"Are you okay? You've been spaced out every time we've called." Laura asks, looking at her boyfriend trough the phone, concerned about him.

"Yeah. School literally has drained everything out of me. I still haven't found a job. I feel like death. But I love you, so I feel better now. I'm fine." He replies, forcing a smile.

"Michael, how many times do I need to tell you that you need to talk about these things with me? You're not fine."

"You really do make me feel better!" He defends, not wanting to have this talk again.

She sighs, "I wish I was there. I wish I could help you. I'm sorry I'm the worst."

"You're not! Did you not hear what I just said?"

"I know. I miss you. I miss you so much." She sniffles.

"We cry on almost every FaceTime call. We have to stop this." Michael chuckles, watching Laura wipe her eyes.

"I can't wait to see you." She mumbles, frowning at him.

Michael sighs, "Soon, Laur. I know we're not sure when, but soon."

The pair stayed talking to each other for almost an hour. Laura needed to get back to homework.

Michael couldn't stop thinking about how all he wanted was to be with her. Being this far was ruining him.

"Mom!" Michael calls, walking out of his room as he tries to find where his mom is.

"Yes?" She asks, looking up to him from the couch.

He frowns, before going to sit beside her on the couch.

"Laura?" She questions, wrapping her arms around her son.

He nods, sniffling. Michael was trying to pull himself together, but it clearly wasn't going well.

"What's going on?" She questions, frowning at him.

"I want to be with her. I hate school, mom. I've hated it since the first week. I just want to go be with her." Michael finally admits.

"Why didn't you tell me? We can figure it out, baby. Oh, I'm so sorry."

"I couldn't tell you. I'm having such a hard time with this. I talked to Chloe about how much I want to dropout and move to Laura. I knew you'd be disappointed. I told her I couldn't move to Laura though because I can't leave you. I don't know, mom."

"Don't get mad at me when I ask this, okay? Are you just saying you hate it because you want to go to Laura?" She asks.

"No. I really hate it. I think because I hate it so much it's just making me want to be near her even more."

"We can discuss your future at Syracuse a little more once you've calmed down. I don't think now is a good time. Now, what's this about moving to be with Laura?" She questions, confused all of this is coming out now.

Michael sighs, sniffling again, "I want to be with her, mom. I know you probably think I'm crazy. I know you probably think I'm just a stupid kid."

"I get it, baby. I just want you to be happy. I see how happy she makes you. You've gone through a lot, Michael. It broke my heart when you went through everything you did at the beginning of high school. You've never been happier, and I can see that. She's a great girl." She tells her son, running a hand through his hair, trying to calm him down.

"What if she wants to be away from me for university? I'm scared if I tell her I wanted to be there with her she'll be upset."

"She loves you. You need to talk to her. You need to be honest. Nothing's going to change immediately, you're still in school, you can't just rush off to her. But talk to her. Figure things out."

//

"Hey!" Ashton yells, finally joining the call, waving at all his friends through the phone.

Michael, Calum, Luke and Ashton had all made sure they took time out of their day so the four of them could talk. Michael had forgot at first since he was having a breakdown most of the day.

"I can't stay long, I'm pretty sure my professors want me dead. This is fucking insane." Luke says, sitting at his desk, his textbooks surrounding him.

"You're doing some science shit at Columbia, bro. We all knew you'd die." Calum chuckles, smoking a joint.

"How are you so calm? Do you not have anything to do?" Luke asks, clearly confused how Calum is so relaxed.

"I did everything I have due already. My entire day yesterday I was locked in my room and powered through it, man." Calum shrugs, "We're going out tonight, can't have homework."

"I wish I could go out." Luke mutters.

"Luke, you really should. Just one night." Ashton replies.

Luke sighs, "Maybe. I don't know. I'll join Chloe and Jada one day."

"What about you Michael? Have you gone out?" Ashton asks.

"Like, once. I'm usually crying because I'm going fucking insane because I am literally a child. But I'm fine, so..."

"Man, you weren't kidding, huh?" Luke says, referring to the fact Michael spammed him with message while he was having a breakdown.

"I don't need to talk through this again, but, yeah. It's been tough." Michael says, not needing to bore his friends with his life problems.

"Guys, I'm sorry, but I gotta go." Luke says, before almost immediately hanging up.

"Luke really is going to die at that school, huh?" Calum laughs, shaking his head.

"He says he enjoys it for the most part. He loves learning that stuff. It's just a lot of work. I'm sure he'll be okay." Ashton replies.

"Shit, the guys are here. I gotta go too." Calum says, before hanging up."

"Looks like it's just us." Michael laughs.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Ashton questions, seeming worried about Michael.

"I am doing better. School sucks and being away from Laura is just really hard." Michael tells him, shrugging his shoulders.

"Drop out and be with her, man!" Ashton exclaims.

"I can't do that. I don't know if she'd want me to do that. We'll see how things play out for a while. I can handle it."

________________

so I think the next chapter is the last, then I'm gonna do an epilogue i think?