I'm Going Slightly Mad

You were out of their apartment within an hour

You were out of their apartment within an hour. It was nearly five AM and you definitely weren't going to be able to fall back asleep, not after your conversation with Roger. You folded the blanket he had given you and strapped on your shoes. You remembered that you were still wearing the jacket Brian had given you, and you draped it over a chair. You shouldn't leave any traces behind. You took one last look at the apartment, and then closed the door behind you. Brian's apartment was right opposite and for a second, you wished you could thank him for everything he told you and say goodbye, but then you decided against it. The sooner you got out of here the better, otherwise you'd take one look at their kind faces and convince yourself to stay. You walked down the stairs, and out into older London. The cold air instantly hit you and you felt naked without Brian's comfy jacket around you. There was barely anybody out on the streets, it was way too early and for a second you could almost forget where you were, breathing in the morning air as if you were going for a routine run.

It was pretty, you had to admit it, no matter how much you hated being here. In some parts, it looked almost exactly the same to the London you knew. The only difference was the restaurants and the shops that you'd never had gotten the chance to visit because they closed down long before you were born. There were such few fast food places scattered across and it felt so much quieter and calmer. The street signs were less clattered and the cars were prettier. You found yourself glancing in the reflection of each vintage car, they were all colors and shapes and looking at yourself in their mirror just reminded you that this was all real. You weren't a sucker for vintage stuff but being here convinced you otherwise. It was as if the entirety of London was under an Instagram filter, and perhaps you might have been able to appreciate its beauty more if you were here willingly. There was an adorable outdoor café that you passed, and the owners were still setting up the chairs outside and it would have been perfect for a date, if you had a boyfriend here that is.

Your calm was disturbed soon though as you saw people heading to their places of work and you were back to square one, with all the stares directed to your chest and your bare legs. Your legs moved of their own accord as you found your way to Kensington Market, it was pretty close to where Roger lived. When you reached, the vendors were still setting up, on account of it being so early but you couldn't wait any longer. It was freezing outside and you needed a warm coat, otherwise time travel would be the last of your problems, and hypothermia the first. There was a man there with a huge clothes stall and you walked over to him quickly. He was with another woman, who looked much younger and when she saw you approaching, it was as if her jaw dropped. Her eyes were wide as they trailed over your clothes and the man next to her raised an eyebrow.

"Can I help you?" He asked, an eyebrow raised at you.

You hugged yourself to keep warm and said "I, uh, need to sell these clothes"

"Great" He said "Put up a stall. Slug it here like the rest of us"

"Um, no, I mean can I sell them to you? For that" You asked, breaking out of your warm hug to point at a fur coat hung up on a rack behind them.