Don't Stop Me Now

Roger could feel his feet as he walked across the pavement

Roger could feel his feet as he walked across the pavement. He could feel the cold on his face. He was lucky he had layered up with his sweater, his coat and his signature green beret.

He could hear the sound of the London traffic, the bus driver that pressed the horn one too many times cause of the pedestrians in his way. He could hear the sloshing of drinks in cups as he walked past all the bars, the loud roaring as the fans cheered for another football goal on the pub television.

He could feel his recently-dyed blonde hair getting tangled due to the soft rain that had started and he could feel how damp his socks were about to get. He could feel the cold prick at his fingers which were exposed in his gloves. Despite Roger's hold on anything and everything happening around him, he felt empty inside.

He didn't feel any sort of emotion in his heart, or inside his head. All he knew was that he had to walk as fast as he could.

The closest train station, which ran trains all the way to Brighton was a mere ten-minute walk but as he walked across the street, those ten minutes stretched out into hours. He felt like he had been walking for ages. He didn't know how much time had passed or how much time he had left. He felt like the faster he walked, the slower everything around him got.

It was like a huge time warp.

Roger was in a daze, hypnotic almost, following only his muscle movements and feeling his legs in front of the other. He wouldn't have snapped out, if it weren't for the lady he had bumped into.

"Excuse me!" She yelled and Roger realized he'd spilled her coffee on the pavement. Why was the lady drinking coffee so late in the evening?

"I'm sorry" Roger mumbled, bending down to pick up the fallen cup and handing it to her "I really am. I'm in a hurry"

"Well so is everybody else here, but you could watch where you're going" She said.

"I'm terribly sorry" Roger said, and fished out three quid from his pocket "I'll buy you another"

"No need for that" She huffed, taking the money from him regardless.

"All right. Have a good day" Roger told her, and continued walking, this time careful to not bump into anybody.

He wished he had brought his van so he could have driven, but the thought left his head as he noticed the huge pileup of cars at one intersection.

He noticed a crowd of policemen gathered around the area; they were setting up a roadblock.

"Fuck" Roger said, watching as they cordoned off an area.

"What's wrong?" Roger asked a random person, staring at the large crowd in his way to the station.

"Another explosion... in the Tower of London this time...probably by the same guys who did the parliament last month" The woman told him. Roger nodded, remembering seeing the House of Parliaments bombing on the news last month. He had been sitting with you at that moment, and now he wondered if you had known all along about it happening.