Keep Yourself Alive

You dreamt that you were back

You dreamt that you were back. It was April, and it was 2019 and you were back. You were in your room, under your heavy but soft duvet, and your phone was in your hand. You often fell asleep like that, and it sure helped in the morning because the buzzing of your alarm always jolted you awake. It had always been easier to wake up faster with a phone in your hand. You'd walk around the house to get dressed for work, holding it and endlessly scrolling through your feeds to get a gist of all that went down while you were sleeping. The sheer brightness of it and the multiple drunken stories of your friends was a great way to knock out the sleepiness, and most times worked better than caffeine. You were sat at the breakfast table and stuffing cereal into your mouth at an unhealthy rate when your phone dinged.

It was a text from Lisa. She always picked you up before work, and you would grab coffee together. You locked your apartment, and walked downstairs to find her flirting shamelessly with your neighbor. You were so used to it at this point, and so was he. Lisa's eyes lit up when she saw you come down.

"Took you long enough" She said and held out a cup of Starbucks for you "I texted you like five times"

"I'm sorry, I just had a long night" You told her.

"Doing what exactly?" She asked, and you wracked your brain for an answer. What had you been doing?

"I was at my old house" You told her, the answer slipping you even though you had no memory of it.

"Maybe that's a sign that you should stop ignoring your mum" Your neighbor, Alex, spoke up. You realized he was still standing there. His arm was now around Lisa's and she was gazing adoringly at him.

"I haven't been ignoring my mum" You said all too quickly and Lisa faked a loud, obnoxious laugh.

"Is that why she's always asking me how you're doing instead of just talking to you herself?" She said and you frowned.

"You should really cherish what you have, Y/N. You never know when you'll lose it" Alex piped in, and it almost sounded like a threat. You realized suddenly that you weren't out on the street anymore, but inside a bar.