Part 10 - Right place, right time

Breakfast was beyond awkward. Millie was glad that neither Jesse nor Cat had emerged from their room yet. She was hoping to avoid them both today, it was hard enough keeping last nights events from Dex without having to deal with seeing either of them.

"Millie, I am taking Cat to the airport in a minute before Jess gets up, you're leaving today too, right? Do you need a ride" asked Mac
"Cat's leaving now?" asked Millie
"Yeah, Jesse isn't in the right headspace right now" that's the understatement of the year thought Millie
"So, I had a little talk with her and we agreed it's best for both of them to get a little distance while he sorts his shit out" explained Mac, it was obvious that Mac had talked her into leaving, he was right, she did need to leave him to sort him self out but Millie knew it was more likely that Mac didn't want to have to deal with any more drama!
"Oh, ok, err, no thank you, my flight isn't until later this afternoon, I'll get a cab.. but thank you" she smiled in appreciation of his offer. Hoping that he didn't really just want her gone too. Dex squeezed her thigh gently under the breakfast table in appreciation that she didn't have to leave yet. She kissed him gently on his cheek, grateful that he was the sweet, attentive boyfriend that he was and that she was dating him and not Jesse!

It was 3pm before she had to encounter Jesse, just getting into the cab for the airport she caught his eye as he came out of the hotel for a cigarette. She looked away, pretending to have barely noticed him she threw her arms around Dex
"I'm gonna miss you, baby!" She gushed, he pulled her in closer to him wrapping his protective arms around her and pulling her head into his chest he kissed her on top of her head and sighed. This was tough! An endless string of goodbyes wasn't anyone's ideal relationship.
"I'll come see you as soon as I can" he smiled, fighting to hold it together. She looked up at him, returning a sympathetic smile, he brushed her hair away from her face, pushing it gently behind her back ear and looked deep into her sad brown eyes. He wished so much that she could just give up her job and stay with him on the road, he could really see this lasting and he had more than enough money for them both to live comfortably but he knew that was too big an ask, he knew he couldn't give up what he did, it would be unfair to expect her to, he had to accept that this was their life, at least for now it was going to be another city, another plane.... another sad goodbye, he'd just have to deal with it.
Closing the cab door behind Millie he stood on the kerb and watched until her cab sped out of sight and that was it. Again.
Feeling pretty low he headed back into he hotel to drown his sorrows in the bar, followed back in by three security members he felt smothered, knowing his mood would be lifted when he got on stage tonight he just needed to get through the day! Walking into the bar he noticed Jesse sat alone in the corner, three empty shot glasses sat on the table in front of him.

"Woah, on the hard stuff already' joked Dex Jesse looked up and smiled, he looked a mess!

His eyes were red and bloodshot and were only half open, as if it was too much effort to force them open fully but Dex could just make out how weird his pupils were, tiny, like pin pricks, he was breathing slowly, he seemed a little drowsy, Dex assumed he was probably severely hungover and just got no sleep last night, Jesse was never one to leave a party early.

"What time did you get in?" Asked Dex

"I have no idea, man" replied Jesse It was obvious to Dex that Jesse had some stuff going on but he had no idea what. Serious man to man talk just wasn't Dex' strong point

"Y'alright man" asked Dex. Continually staring down at the table Jesse signed, there was an awkward pause. Dex thought he'd fallen asleep until he lifted his drink to his mouth. Jesse wondered if Millie had said anything about last night to Dex, he assumed she had, she was bound to tell him, especially after how he had reacted to her in the corridor, he couldn't remember a word of what he'd said but he was fairly sure it wouldn't have been nice!