Part 45 - Gone too soon

Flying back to the states Jesse had a clear head for once. His life finally started to make sense. It was a feeling that he'd hit rock bottom and was already on his way back up. He still felt heartbroken about his mum being ill, he knew she didn't have long, but he knew that feeing would most likely never completely go away but having to deal with his mum's illness had strengthened his relationship with his brothers Eli and Jack and having them there for him made him feel like he had the strength to rebuild his life and start again alone.

Sat alone on the plane he text everyone he'd hurt and apologised, feeling like that was the best way to start over.

The last person he text was Dex

Hey I'm flying back to the states now, can you meet me at my place at 6?

The cab pulled up outside Jesse's apartment and he got out. He paid the driver, grabbed his bags and disappeared inside. A few minutes later the buzzer rang

"Come in" Said Jesse into the intercom

The lift opened into Jesse's apartment and Dex stood there, ripped black jeans and a big baggy  sweater swamped him, he was wearing a baseball cap, his hair a mess underneath. He considered not going but curiosity got the better of him and he wondered what Jesse wanted. Not another fight he hoped, he was exhausted, he wasn't prepared for a fight.

Jesse approached him and put his hand out, Dex hesitated for a few seconds, finally reciprocating shaking his hand and hugging in a manly fashion.

"I'm sorry man" said Jesse. He genuinely was. Dex was like blood and he knew he'd fucked him over.

"S'ok" Said Dex. It wasn't, but he'd accepted that he and Millie were over. He was never going to see her again, it seemed silly to lose his best friend too.

He couldn't forgive him but he could forget.

"Come sit down" gestured Jesse, he grabbed some drinks from the fridge and went to sit down on the couch.

"Listen man, I've just got back from England" Jesse began, looking down at his hands fiddling with the ring pull of his can of Coke, he avoided eye contact with Dex

"I went to see Millie" he said cautiously, looking up to see Dex's reaction

"Yeah? You two gonna give it a shot then?" Asked Dex casually, trying to hide the fact that it was killing him inside. His stomach knotted, he felt that lump return to his throat, his palms sweaty, his heart racing as he waited for Jesse to respond

"No" Jesse laughed, Dex looked up at him, not knowing what was funny.

"She's your future wife!" Smiled Jesse

"Not anymore" replied Dex

Jesse wiped the smile from his face

"Look Dex, I know I screwed things up for you two, well, I screwed things up for most people. I'm really sorry I fucked up your life for something that's never going to be anything" Said Jesse

Dex felt deflated. It was true, Jesse had ruined his life for a relationship that was never going to happen.

Feeling like he was close to wanting to leave Dex downed the last of his can of Coke and was about to make his excuses

"Dex, Millie and I talked for a lot of the night, she is so madly in love with you, if it wasn't for me you would still be together and happy. Please figure things out with her. I swear she doesn't feel for me anything near what she feels for you, you need to be with her" Pleaded Jesse. Dex didn't answer, instead he leaned his chin in his hand and let the things Jesse was saying stir around his mind. He had always had a rule. Ex's should always remain exes, he never went back. But something was telling him on this occasion he needed to break this rule.