Part 43 - Realisation

Millie woke up to the sound of rain hammering down on her windows. It was one of her favourite things, nothing made her feel more relaxed and at peace that the gentle pitter-patter of rain outside.
It took her a few seconds of being blissfully unaware that she and Dex had split up before reality set in and she remembered the last couple of days. Her mood quickly darkened to match the dark and dreary day outside, her peacefulness shattered in an instant.
She couldn't face Sophie this morning, as soon as the press found out, Sophie was sure to have a barrage of questions! She hadn't even worked up the courage to tell Ricco yet, she knew he would be annoyed for not being the first to know but she wasn't ready to talk about it, to anyone! She knew she would burst into tears at the mention of his name or even without his name being mentioned as she wiped a tear from her cheek.

But she had to go to work so getting up and facing the day was her only option.
She managed to pull herself up and sat on the edge of her bed, trying to muster some enthusiasm from somewhere. She picked up her phone, she had several messages

Dexter Rose
If you want to pursue something with Jesse, I won't cause any problems for you, or him. Whatever makes you happy. I just wanted you to know that.
And also, you should know I didn't cheat on you, not once. Dx

Her eyes welled up again, blurring her vision. It didn't make sense to love each other so much and not be together, dispute the mistakes they had made.
She quickly scrolled through the rest of the messages all from her sisters, it was obvious her mum had broke the news of the split to the family, she knew she'd have nothing but support from them but she couldn't face them, she couldn't face anyone, it was too humiliating.

She switched her phone off. She needed a break from all the texts and drama to just get her head together and focus on work, or even to just focus on getting out of the house at all! She had so much to get done and had taken so many days holiday lately, she didn't want her boss, Mr Salvatore, to get mad at her. Now that Dex was gone it was time concentrate on getting where she wanted to be and getting her name out there. If her love life wasn't going to be successful, she was sure as hell going to make sure her career was.

An hour later she stepped through the heavy, glass, office door into reception Ricco was standing waiting for her.
He gave her a sympathetic smile, not wanting Sophie to ask questions he didn't want to say too much in front of her.
"Morning, can you come up to my office?" He asked
Millie nodded, following him up the stairs.
It was silent all the way up. Usually you couldn't shut Ricco up if you wanted to but today his mood seemed to match hers.
He stopped by his office door and let her go in first like the gentleman he was. Millie sat down in the chair on the opposite side of his desk.
Ricco came up behind her, leaning down her wrapped his arms around her neck.
"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked quietly
"I..." she started, her eyes filling immediately. Ricco pulled her up to stand, wrapping his arms around her properly. She began to sob into his chest.
"I can't talk about it" she replied, her voice muffled to his chest. Ricco rubbed the back of her head.
"Oh doll" he replied, it always broke his heart to see her upset.
"Amber said you kissed Jesse?"
Millie nodded, her head still buried in his chest to avoid looking at him.
"What happened?" He asked. Millie exhaled heavily, knowing she was going to have to break her silence.
She let go of Ricco and wiped her eyes, sitting down in the chair. Ricco perched on the edge of his desk in front of her.
"I don't know where to start.." she sighed heavily.
"I was clearing up on the beach after the wedding, nearly everyone had gone to bed including Dex and Jesse's girlfriend but Jesse was still on the beach. He pulled me away from everyone else and said that he hadn't stopped thinking about me and then he kissed me" Millie stopped, staring at the floor, waiting for his reaction
"And..?" Said Ricco
"And what?" Asked Millie looking up at him
"Come on!! What was it like, what did he do? How did it stop, what did you do after? How did Dex find out?" Asked Ricco, hungry for gossip.
"Jesus, I feel like I'm being interrogated!" Replied Millie
"Sorry!" Said Ricco, rubbing her knee apologetically.
"Uh.. he was getting quite hot and heavy but then someone dropped a stack of chairs, just down the beach a little and I jumped, it scared us, we stopped, I told him I couldn't do it and I ran away" explained Millie
Ricco listened intently
"I don't know where Jesse went after that, I didn't see him again. I went back up to the hotel room and Dex already knew, I'd left my phone in the room and Jesse text about the kiss, Dex read it before I did" said Millie, her bottom lip quivering as she spoke.
"Shit" said Ricco. Millie nodded
"We had a massive argument, I've never seen him so mad, he was scary. He smashed my phone and said it was over and left, he got on a plane that night and I haven't seen him since" said Millie.
"Oh Jesus!" Replied Ricco
"I'm sure he just needs a bit of time to get his head around it" Ricco added, trying to sound optimistic but in reality he had no idea what Dex would be feeling or what decision he was going to make about their future, maybe it was over, kissing his best friend was a huge betrays from both Millie and Jesse, Ricco wondered if he would be able to get over that.
"I think it's over for good' replied Millie,
"I'm just going to leave him alone and just hope he can sort things out with Jesse and they can stay friends, I don't want to ruin his band, his career! It was a stupid mistake. I like Jesse, I'm attracted to him but I don't feel anywhere near for him what I feel for Dex, I've thrown it all away for nothing, for a silly momentary lapse in judgement" groaned Millie
"I know babe, but you didn't know how you felt before, maybe you needed that kiss to know how you felt about them both. It's obviously given you some clarity at least" explained Ricco. He was right.
Millie nodded.
"It has, but I think it's too late" sighed Millie

"I hate that he's not mine anymore" said Millie, her lip quivering, her eyes sparkling from the moisture gathering.
"Give it time doll, it's still raw, I'm sure he'll talk to you eventually, once he's stopped hurting, you might figure it out" said Ricco, optimistically. Millie shrugged.