Part 36 - Helping her

Dex was looking forward to the show as he waited backstage for the warm up act to finish, it was the last show before he flew to Greece for Millie's sisters wedding and he felt so ready for a couple of days off. His schedule was relentless, 7 days a week nearly every week for months had taken its toll. He felt tired, weak, he needed a break from the constant hounding from fans and the paparazzi, though he didn't hold out much hope that the paparazzi wouldn't find him in Greece! He was sure there would be a photographer waiting if he flew to the moon!

Having cut out their pre-show shots Dex was struggling with keeping his nerves at bay, water was just not cutting it, but he was going to go along with the change for Jesse's sake. He seemed to be doing well, the throwing up constantly seemed to have stopped and he hadn't noticed him shaking as much as he did a few weeks earlier, if it meant having nothing to calm his nerves so be it, he knew he could do the show completely sober, even if it was terrifying, it was worth it for Jesse to get better.

Watching side stage he was bouncing on the balls of his feet he found it impossible to stand still. He had adrenaline pumping through his body making him fidgety like a small child on a sugar high, he was sweating already, his fringe already sticking to his face, he brushed it up on top of his head and wiped his forehead with his sleeve. Counting to 5 in his head he tried to control his breathing and slow his heart rate. He knew the state he got into before every show was going to take its toll on his heart. His father has already suffered two minor heart attacks in recent years and he feared for his own heart with the stress it was put under almost daily.

Mac came up behind him, putting a hand on his shoulder

"Ya alright?" He asked

Dex turned to look at him

"Yeah" he signed heavily

"That girl, from earlier, she's down front centre, she'll be next to me, what else do you want me to do with her?" Asked Mac

"Ok. Thank you, uh.. I'm not sure, bring her back here after and I'll have a think, I guess, perhaps merch, tickets.. a ride home?" He suggested

"Ok" replied Mac

"Right guys, phones please" Said Mac, holding out his hand, Dex handed his over, followed by Jesse, CJ and Zach who was just finishing up a call.

Jesse was always nervous handing over his phone, he hadn't heard much from Millie lately but he switched it off every time now incase Millie sent him a text, but he was still always worried that Mac or Dex would see something.

A few minutes later and the band were announced on stage, Zac, Jesse and CJ always went on first to an eruption of screaming, whistling and shouting. Dex always hung back a tiny bit and went on last, causing the volume of the screaming to amplify about 1000%! He screwed up his face as he walked to the front of the stage, he was sure they got louder and more high pitched with every show.

The band started straight away, flipping Dex' showman switch instantly, his nerves fell away as he found his alter ego, the confident, flirty, crowd driven performer. He belted out his song with the entire crowd singing along with him, bounding about the stage like an energetic puppy wanting to please its master. Every now and again he put his hand up his t-shirt, lifting it slightly flashing a little bit of his tanned, toned stomach sending the crowd into a frenzy of ear-piercing magnitude, Dex lapped up the attention, he loved the ego boost it gave him. Coming to the end of the first song Dex sat down on the edge of the stage to talk to the audience it was something he did every show like a routine, instead of taking to the crowd when he first came out he always did it after the first song, after he'd riled them up a bit.

With his legs dangling over the edge of the stage and Mac close by Dex felt fairly safe being so close.

"Hey, how are you all doing tonight?" He asked, met with another chorus of window shattering screams he covered his ears