Part 32 - Games

A few days later Dex was still feeling down about the phone call with Millie and hadn't spoken to her since that night. They'd text a little each day but with Millie working long hours and the time difference they'd not managed to speak. He wasn't sure if he should try to call or leave her to come to him when she wanted too. He decided to give her some space, he understood his lifestyle was hard for anyone to have to deal with and didn't want to push her away any further. Instead he text her daily letting her know he missed her, loved her and was thinking about her. Millie was always pleased to get his texts, her heart still raced at the sight of his name across the screen of her phone.

It was a rainy October morning and Millie was on her way to work, the weather had just turned and there was a chill in the air this morning. Millie pulled her faux leather jacket wrapping it around herself tightly. It's definitely time to invest in a proper winter coat! She thought as she shivered walking down the garden path to her car.

Sitting inside it was a relief, her bones felt cold this morning, usually she liked the change of season but having to get to work in the dark and dreary weather was making her feel a little depressed this morning.

She glanced at her phone. No calls or messages. She sighed. Dex's life might be complicated and chaotic but it sure beat the boring 9-5 she was living at home.

At work, Millie liked a dark, rainy day, there was something about it, it was a nice way to work, she kept her office lights switched off. The soothing sound of the rain beating down on the glass windows made her feel cozy and relaxed. She had a clear schedule today, she liked to have a day like that from time to time, no meetings, no commitments, she could just sit in her office alone and draw up new product designs quietly. It may have been a rubbish day outside but she was looking forward to her working day, a quiet one was just what she needed.

By mid morning she'd worked her way through four cups of tea already and was working on a design for a potential new clothing line when her phone began to ring, deep in concentration she jumped, dropping her pencil on the floor

"Hey Mils!" Said an excited voice on the other end

"Oh hey Ari" replied Millie

"I just had a call from Dex's management, they're good for the wedding. Thank you for sorting that for me. I owe you" said Aria

"Oh cool. Mac said he thought it would be doable, I'm glad they've confirmed" said Millie

"Yeah. Listen, do you think Dex would be an usher too? Or do you think that's asking too much? Lex wants Nate to be one. It would be odd if Nate was and Dex wasn't, wouldn't it? He wouldn't have to do anything besides wear a matching suit" Aria explained.

"Uh maybe, I'll ask him. I'm not sure he'll get here for a suit fitting before the wedding though" said Millie

"I know he's got shows in the states right up until the Thursday before the wedding and bare in mind he refuses to wear socks!" Millie added, laughing

Aria laughed,
"That's weird!"

"Ok. Well if he will do it I'll figure something out, thanks babe" said Aria

"Are you packed for this weekend?" Asked Aria

"Nearly!" Replied Millie

"I can't wait, I could do with a girls night out!" Said Millie

"Me too! Just none of the tacky hen stuff please! No penis straws!!" Laughed Aria

"This is a classy affair" she joked Millie knew Ricco had already bought the penis straws!

"Yes ok!" Said Millie

"I'll see you at the hotel on Thursday babes" said Aria

"See you there, can't wait. Love you" said Millie

"Love you too babe" said Aria

Millie couldn't wait for her sisters hen weekend, they were flying to Ibiza on Thursday for a long weekend, it was just what Millie needed. A break from work, a break from Dex's life and some relaxation and fun with her sisters. She was even more excited that Ricco had been invited, he was basically one of the girls! And Amber was coming too. Millie knew she'd been neglecting Amber lately, a catch up was well over due.

"Where's Dex?" Said Maisie from across the office, Millie looked up from her work.

"Oh. That wasn't Dex. That was my sister Aria" explained Millie

"Yeah I know, but where is he now?" She asked again

"Oh uh, he's gone home, he's in America at the moment" replied Millie, that was as much as she knew herself!

"Oh, when is he coming back?" Asked Maisie. Millie began to feel a little bit irritated by Maisie's questioning. She didn't feel like she knew Maisie well enough to give away too much information about Dex and she felt a little bit weird with the line of questioning.

"I don't know, he's really busy" she replied, not looking up from her work

Maisie was quiet for a few minutes

"So are you gonna break up with him?" Asked Maisie

"What?!" Snapped Millie, very annoyed by Maisie's questioning she stopped what she was doing and looked up at her. Maisie looked slightly worried,

"Just.. that I saw that he's dating that Isy girl so i guess you're going to break up with him, if you haven't already" explained Maisie, quietly.

"Oh Maisie for fuck sake, it's all fucking lies! Jealous people just make this shit up! It's not true! And no I'm not breaking up with him. We're fine and really happy so do me a favour and butt out" snapped Millie. She knew she'd just been so unprofessional and would never usually swear at an intern, she was just a teenager but she'd had it with the rumours, she'd had it with the lies and was fed up of feeling humiliated all the time.

She burried her head back in her work, keeping her head down so Maisie wouldn't see the tears that had began to fill her eyes.

After a few moments she got up and walked out of her office, tears streaming down her face she ran to the toilets, locking herself in, she sat on the toilet lid and sobbed into her hands.

She was so fed up of all this. Not a day went by anymore when she didn't have to defend her relationship to someone who had no business knowing anything about it.

She took a few minutes to cry it out being forced to pull herself together as she heard someone come into the toilets.

She wiped her eyes with some toilet tissue and readjusted her suit. She took a deep breath and slowly walked back to her office. Knowing she was going to have to apologise to Maisie.

Maisie didn't look up from her work as Millie entered her office, Millie noticed the light on her phone was on.

"Did you touch my phone?" Asked Millie

"No, I think you got a text" replied Maisie. Weird considering her phone was on silent and Maisie was sat across the room. Millie didn't trust Maisie, she was sure she'd messed with her phone.

Probably trying to get Dex's number

Millie picked up her phone, she did have a text

Hey, it's Isy again, can you delete Dex's number and leave him alone, he asked me to ask you that

This didn't seem right thought Millie, this was too immature to be Isy, but whether it was her or not she was tired of all the bullshit.

She scrolled down her messages and found his name, and started to type a message.

Hey Jess.
How are you doing? Where are you guys now? Mil x

She knew she shouldn't be letting her emotions push her towards Jesse, but right now, for the first time, he was the least drama out of the two of them and feeling like she had already lost the battle with Isy for Dex, Jesse's affections seemed more than appealing.