Part 12 - Ugh, her.

"Jess finish that please" said Mac rounding up the guys in the hotel bar ready for sound check.

"Yeah, ok" replied Jesse. He was only on the orange juice after all the drama he had caused this week he wasn't going to push it. He didn't have the energy to cause trouble even if he wanted to, whatever cocktail of drugs they'd given him at the hospital, it had knocked him for six.

"Jess are you sure you want to play, I can get someone in to fill in for you tonight, for a week, for a month! However long you need to get better" said Mac, cautious of all Jesse had just been through and the added pressures of the shows.

"Nah, I'm ok, I swear, I need something to focus on and I feel alright, I'm just tired" he replied. Knowing full well that music was the only thing that was going to get him through, given time off he knew exactly what he'd do, staying in the band and having a strict schedule and Mac breathing down his neck was the only thing that was going to help him right now.

Dex downed the last of his pint and grabbed his jacket. Following their security manager Mac, he, Jesse, Zac and CJ walked through the hotel lobby, trying not to draw too much attention to themselves. The hotel was busy. There were lots of young girls around, most likely staying in the hotel for the Craze gig that evening. They split up and walked apart, Dex walked alone in front, hoping to get through the lobby first before they were recognised, he pulled his cap down low in an attempt to hide his face a little, the last thing he wanted was to be mobbed by loads of screaming teenagers. Three large men from their security entourage walked a little bit behind them but despite that Dex still felt vulnerable. He always did when he was out in public. He could see girls looking at him and doing a double take. He knew he wasn't going to make it to the front door without being approached.

He was right. Just as they approached the hotel doors a group of young teenagers, no more than 14 years old came running up to them.

"Oh my god!! You're Craze!" Said one, with a foreign accent. Fuck sake thought Dex. The three security guys swooped in surrounding Dex on all sides they moved him along swiftly through the groups of girls beginning to gather.
"I'm sorry" he shouted back at them,
"Come talk to me at the show" he added. Dex hated signing things outside of shows, in the past he'd had girls, even grown men approach him on the street and ask for his autograph just to sell it on eBay and make some money off of him! There was no way he was going to facilitate that any more, especially now his career had gone global and his signature would be sought after and worth more money! He preferred now to only sign autographs at his shows that way he figured if they'd bought a ticket and watched his show they were more likely to be genuine fans and actually want his autograph.

Tonight's show scared Dex more than a usual show. It was a private corporate gig at the posh hotel. The only thing he was looking forward to about it was the fact that he was guaranteed a day room at the hotel and could have a shower after two days stuck on a hot sweaty bus.
But the show itself wasn't something Dex was looking forward to, a more intimate show, less security, the crowd would be touching the stage, no barriers, nothing between him and them. The only positive was that being a corporate event he hoped there would be a few less crazy teens waiting for him after the show. He didn't mind the crazy fans. He knew they were the only reason his career had become what it had but after a show he was exhausted and just wanted to get away. Sometimes the endless demands from fans waiting outside for him could go on for an hour or more!
Corporate gigs tended to be an older crowd and not necessarily fans of his, which made for a crappy atmosphere but he could get away as soon as he came off stage. Tonight that was appealing after all the drama that had gone on lately it was better for Jesse to have a quiet one.
They followed Mac down a corridor to the function room they were playing. It was a strange venue for a gig, more suited to a wedding or birthday party. The stage was only a foot or so high. Dex wasn't sure how much of an atmosphere he was going to achieve in a room like this and he already knew the acoustics weren't going to be good but sometimes a change was good so he was just going to go with it.