Viking Unions

Chapter 15: Viking Unions

The dragon riders were in the middle of training to take on the dragon hunters when they were interrupted by an unexpected visitor. Spitelout, Snotlout's father, landed on the Edge with his Deadly Nadder. Everyone stopped what they were doing to give him uneasy smiles.

"Dad?" Snotlout said.

Hiccup stepped forward to greet them. "Spitelout! Eh, what a... what a pleasant surprise."

Snotlout scrambled forward to show his father his axe, but Spitelout looked at it and frowned. "Eh, dull."

Snotlout chuckled nervously. "Haha, yeah, I was just telling them that, dad." He once again moved in front of him to get his attention. "Hey, did you see that-"

"I come with news from Berk," Spitelout said, ignoring his son and causing Eira to frown. "There's to be a union tomorrow between two proud houses: our family, House Jorgenson, and..."

"What kind of muttonhead would marry into the Jorgenson's?" Astrid said.

"...Astrid's family, House Hofferson!"

Astrid's eyes went wide "..Wait, did he just say... House Hofferson??"

"He sure did!" Eira said.

"That is unprecedented," said Fishlegs. "There has never been a union between these two families! Hoffersons have always disliked Jorgensons, and..."

Astrid glared at Snotlout as he moved closer to her. "Jorgensons have always irritated Hoffersons. Wait, this means Snotlout's gonna be... family?"

Snotlout put his arm around her. "What's the problem, cuz? This is just going to bring us closer!"

Astrid elbowed him to get him away.

"You do kind of fight like siblings," Eira said, earning a sharp look from the blond.

"Welcome to the family, lass," Spitelout said with a grin. "Now, onto business!" He pulled out a long package and unwrapped an axe.

Snotlout stared at the axe in awe. "Woah! The Jorgenson family ceremonial axe! There's never been a union without it!"

"Aye, and as you know, it will need to be present tomorrow at Berk's secret matrimonial site, the Island of Frigga, to chop down the ceremonial birch for this union to be official, so you, Snotlout, will be delivering it!" He placed the axe in his son's waiting hands.

Snotlout grinned. "Sweet!"

"That's quite an honor, Snotlout!" Hiccup said.

"This privilege is only given to the bravest and most virile member of the Jorgenson clan. And you guys are looking at him! Boom, baby! Whooo!"

Eira had to grin at his enthusiasm. She thought his father had been treating him poorly when he first arrived, but perhaps she had misread the situation.

Spitelout scratched his chin. "I would have done it myself if I want already responsible for procuring the beasts for the union's ceremonial 400 bore feast."

"But I'm the family's natural second choice for the job," Snotlout said proudly.

"Of course Hedgelout isn't available. He's still missing at sea..."

Snotlout's smile faded. "Third choice. That's still good. Right?"

"Ah, and then there was Griplout..."

Astrid blinked. "Griplout?"

"Are you talking about the Jorgenson that lost both his arms in that freak mutton accident?" Hiccup said.