Escalation

Chapter 17: Escalation

Eira arrived on the small island first. Despite her confidence in the plan, she could not erase her nerves as she waited on the shore for Dagur. She felt consoled by Swiftwing's presence beside her. If danger approached, the dragon would sense it.

Soon, she spotted another dragon in the distance. A Razorwhip. Windshear landed in the sand, and Dagur stumbled off of her back. Heather met Eira's gaze nodded. Then she and Windshear took off into the night.

"Eira!" Dagur exclaimed when he spotted the girl. He ran right up to her and engulfed her in a hug, lifting her up off her feet.

Eira laughed, her doubts evaporating. "It's good to see you too, Dagur. How is everything?"

Dagur set her on the ground and grinned at her. "Just great! Heather and I are really bonding lately."

Eira smiled. "That's good. I see she lets you ride Windshear with her."

Dagur nodded. "Oh yes. But for some reason, that dragon won't let me on without Heather."

"Well, it does take a lot to gain the trust of a dragon. Just like people." Eira wondered what Windshear thought of the situation with Heather as spy and just how much she understood. It could not be easy on her.

"Heather said one day she'll teach me how to ride a dragon by myself! I'm sure I'll be the very best."

His sudden interest in dragons pleased Eira. It seemed Heather was already a good influence on him. Still, that begged a question... "Dagur, if you like dragons, why are you working with dragon hunters?"

His smile fell, and he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well... I needed more men, and Ryker thought we would work well together." He hesitated. "Don't tell anyone this but Heather and I plan to ditch them once we get the Dragon Eye."

Eira searched his face and found no reason to doubt him. "So, you don't enjoy capturing and hurting dragons?"

"I enjoy the rush of excitement and adventure, and capturing dragons used to give me that."

"But riding a dragon would give you the same rush," Eira concluded.

Dagur grinned. "You're catching on."

Eira remembered when the dragon riders feared Windshear was Dagur's dragon. Yet, she could only see good in Dagur appreciating dragons and getting one to trust him enough to let him ride it. If he could reorient his passionate energy, he might not have to be their enemy. Of course, he still had to let go of his obsessive hatred of Hiccup. For that, she currently had no answer.

"Can I ride your dragon?" Dagur asked suddenly. He approached Swiftwings, who bristled.

"I would be careful if I were you," Eira warned. "Swiftwings is more timid than the usual dragon."

"I'm sure I can handle her." He left his hand to touch her, but she shot him with a water ball, sending him flying across the sand. The dragon snorted in approval.

Eira could not help but laugh as she watched Dagur rise to his sit, sand spilling out of his hair. "I told you."

Dagur glared at the Windwalker. "She did that on purpose!"

Eira smirked. "Of course she did. With her, you have to be quiet and gentle... not exactly your strong suits."

Dagur scoffed. "I can be quiet and gentle, right girl?" He grinned at Swiftwings. The dragon growled when he took a step forward. His eyes widened, and he hid behind Eira. "Okay, maybe I could use some practice."