A Royal Visit

Chapter 48: A Royal Visit

Eira stared at the paper, willing herself to write. She was at her table in her hut, penning a letter to her older brother. She had already gotten over the easy part, extending Stoick's invitation for him to visit and finalize the alliance between them. She had mentioned the possibility in her previous latter, and Haldor seemed willing to leave as soon as possible.

"Writer's block?" Ingrid said, peeking over her shoulder.

"I'm... unsure about what to write," Eira admitted. "I need to tell Haldor about recent events... and that Viggo is alive."

Ingrid nodded. "Makes sense. Just lay it all out. No need to be poetic."

Eira frowned. "That's not the problem. It's Runa... Viggo's former love. Our family is protecting her at his request, and I don't know if I should ask Haldor to tell her the news."

Ingrid appeared thoughtful. "I see. If you're telling Haldor anyway, do you need to explicitly tell him to tell Runa? Or are you thinking about telling him to keep it from her?"

"I don't know if it's right to ask him to keep it from her, but..." Eira paused as she considered her dilemma. "If Haldor doesn't think to tell her or decides it's unwise, it may be better for Runa. She already thinks Viggo is dead. This is her chance to finally move on."

"Maybe. So, why are you hesitating? Is it your commitment to the truth?"

"Well, there's that, but I do understand keeping information can be beneficial sometimes. And it's not outright lying. I just-" Eira closed her eyes and thought about Dagur. Should she tell her sister he was the reason for her hesitation? She glanced at Ingrid, taking in her concerned expression. "There was a time I thought Dagur was dead. It took me months to find out, and I was mad he didn't tell me he was alive. Back then, it might have been better for me not to know, but I'm glad I found out the truth. If I didn't, I would make decisions based on false information." Not to mention the relief she felt when she saw Dagur again made everything worth it.

Ingrid gave her a small smile. "For what it's worth, I agree. Runa has the right to make her own decisions. Just tell her the facts with no opinion. She may wish she hadn't known, but I think it's more likely she'll be grateful."

Eira nodded. "I'll do it." She held her pen over the paper.

"You know, it's probably Viggo who would be mad if you tell her. They wrote letters to each other before he 'died,' right? If he hasn't told her the truth himself, he probably doesn't want her to know."

"Then that's all the more reason to tell Runa." Eira furiously wrote the message before she could change her mind.

Ingrid smirked. "I thought so."

Eira finished the letter and folded it neatly. Now she had to send it, and then there would be no going back.

***

Eira did not receive word from Haldor until he was three days away from Berk. He had written to her along the way and used a wild Terrible Terror to deliver the message. Eira reported to Stoick, who immediately prepared for the prince's arrival. The dragon riders remained at Berk so they could be there to welcome him.

The riders took turns scouting for Haldor. Ruffnut and Tuffnut ended up being the ones to spot him. The excitedly told Stoick and Hiccup, who called everyone to order. Many Vikings were gathered in the middle of the village when Haldor and Brightclaw landed.

"Eira!" Haldor said cheerfully. "It's so good to see you. And you too, Ingrid." He pulled them both into a hug, but Eira was busy staring at the dragon that landed beside Brightclaw. It was a Silver Phantom whose rider was extremely familiar.