Chapter 1- Spilled Drinks

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

-No profit was made from this work.

__________________________________________

Valeria:

I couldn't wait to leave this place. I've been working at Milani's for about two years now and as much as I loved the money I was exhausted from seeing all this beautiful jewelry.

Consumed with work, my social life was nonexistent at the moment and the fact that my love life is basically extinct shows how I didn't really care for connections with the opposite sex.

"Val, did you lock up all the men's Cartier watches?"

Gerie my manager was the owner and she was a gorgeous woman that hired me on the spot during my interview, as an apprentice jewelry designer. Her husband owned the custom jewelry store but Gerie ran the store on the daily.

She was in her mid thirties and has been my friend and mentor since I started working here. She basically took me under her wing, teaching me about these expensive designer brands in her store as well as designing custom pieces for customers. Without asking Gerie even taught me to use what I had to get the sale, basically flirting.

"Yes Gerie, I put them in the safe"

It was two weeks before Christmas and our store was super busy with well off customers who had money to burn on gifts and special pieces for their loved ones, making my schedule crazy.

"Thanks for staying late to help with Jeremy, I'm hoping his ass gets the hang of things so your work load lessens. Oh and by the way I'll bring Bruno on Sunday around 4-ish?"

Forgetting I had the weekend off, since I've been working here weekends didn't exist. And since Gerie had two weeks off to vacation with her husband, she decided to leave me with Bruno, her new adorable baby English bulldog as well as managing the store for her.

"Yeah that's cool"

"Okay I'll be texting you before I get to your place and thank you so much Val!"

"You're welcome Ger, just make sure you bring those pissing pads. Raquel will freak out if she sees piss on the hardwood floor"

"Will do babe, I have his diaper bag already packed"

"Does he have a stroller too?"

"Matter of fact he does, I'll be bringing it too smart ass"

Laughing at the fact that her dog had a diaper bag and stroller, I quickly made my escape to the back of the store. Walking through the door where our secured break room was, I entered the pass code and opened the door. Grabbing my coat and putting it on with my scarf and beanie, I wasn't planning on freezing in these New York City streets.

Walking out of the jewelry store I went straight to my bus stop, swiping my metro card I walked through the aisle of the full bus knowing I had to stand, holding onto the bar above my head. I just wanted this day to be over. Taking two more trains and another bus to get home to my apartment in Queens, I was finally home.

Dragging my legs to climb the five steps to our door, I grabbed our mail that was hanging out of the small box that was attached onto the house. Opening the dark brown door with my key, I locked it behind me just to groan at the sight of having to climb up a staircase to the second floor, dumb stairs.