Chapter 5- I ain't playing with your heart

Valeria:

The rest of the work day went quick but I couldn't wait for Gerie to get back, this responsibility of running the shop was draining. Locking up the store I turned off the lights and set the code for the shops security alarm.

Placing my bags strap over me I said goodbye to Jeremy and Sergio, who also worked with me. Behind them both I started taking a few steps down when I noticed a similar SUV that Abel had taken me home in earlier. Tugging my hair behind my ear I couldn't see who was inside since the windows are tinted so dark, so I slowly stepped down the last step to the sidewalk when the door opened. It was Abel.

"I thought you might like a ride home, it's dangerous for you to be taking the subway home this late"

I was stuck standing there just looking at him, as much as I wanted to be sarcastic about him being a creep, I couldn't, this was one of the sweetest things anyone has ever done for me in a long time.

"Thank you"

Walking toward him, I walked passed him and gave him a smile as I slide across the leather seat toward the door. Buckling myself up, Abel got in and did the same.

"Do you always take the subway this late?

"Yeah, when I have to close"

Looking at me with a ghost of a smile, he was lost in his thoughts as we left the curb.

"It's dangerous for you to be out in the streets, why don't you get a car?

Thinking before I spoke, I wanted to tell him how I wasn't rich like him to be buying cars to my choosing but I bit my tongue.

"I can't afford it, plus I like taking the subway plus parking sucks. The subway relaxes me on the way home"

"Relaxes you? How the hell does taking the subway relax you?"

Turning his head at me his expression was filled with amusement.

"When I get on a train or bus it helps me forget about myself for the moment. I like to wonder what kind of lives the people on there have everyday. Like if I see a woman get on the bus carrying a baby in one arm and a folded stroller in the other, I'd like to think she's on this shit bus or subway to do something beneficial for her child. I'm weird"

Smiling at me I didn't know whether to feel embarrassed that I told him what I thought or nervous that he's smiling at me sweetly.

"You're cute, when I would take the bus I would think how fucked up it is to be crowded like sardines in a musty ass bus"

I couldn't help but laugh and noticed we were driving in an unfamiliar direction.

"Do you even know where I live?"

"Nah, I just told Freddy to drive"

Looking at him wide eyed, I laughed at how he didn't bother asking for my address.

"I thought you knew since you threatened to come over to my place if I didn't pick up your call"

"If I really had to find out I would but I don't want to scare you away since you called me a stalker already. So when you're ready you can give Freddy your address"

Giving Freddy my address, I knew we were a ways from my place.

Abel:

Watching Val be so calm around me was refreshing. Usually when I'm around females they tend to push themselves on me or act a certain way thinking it would attract me to them.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure"

"Why are you so chill around me? Well after you threw your drink on me, you make it feel like we've known each other for so long"