Chapter 3

My converse squeaked slightly on the tile flooring and I cursed at myself. But, apparently, Dalton and Erik were too focused on what they needed to do to hear it. Thank god!

I ended up following them out into the courtyard. They were sitting at one of the wooden bench tables. I ducked behind one of the green, metal, trashcan barrels near the table they were sitting at. I closed my eyes and focused my hearing on their voices. But, it was still kind of difficult to hear them because they were whispering.

“This needs to get figured out.” Erik whisper yelled.

There was a smack sound, then Dalton gritted, “No shit, Erik. You don’t think I don’t know that? They can’t get near her.”

Who are they? And who is her?  

“Are you positive it’s her?” Erik asked. His tone was kind of light considering he was probably the one who was hit.

There was a sigh. “Yeah, man… Just don’t tell anyone.. And dude, don’t ever mess with her again.”

Wait… are they talking about me?

“You’re the one who told me to do it.” Erik argued back.

Well then. I don’t want to sound self centered, but I think they’re talking about me. Why are they talking about me?

“That’s not the point. Just don’t. And don’t tell anyone. Word can’t get out or others might use her against me.”

Erik huffed. “Okay. Now, what about-“ I lost my balance and whacked my binder against the trashcan.

“Who’s over there?” Erik called.

Shit. Do I reveal myself? Or should I just make a run for it? Considering what I can do, I bet I could out run them; even if they are guys. I decided better safe than sorry.

Slowly, I stood up, brushing my hair out of my face. “Hi.” Before they could say anything, I made a run for it back inside. Hopefully, I don’t have anymore classes with those two. But, I’ve learned to never get my hopes up. Just as I got into the main hallway, the bell rang for first to be over. The hallways soon flooded with teenagers heading to their next classes and to mingle with friends. I figured I should do the same and lay low.

I walked into Mr. Tate’s room for Pre-calc. I wonder if he still remembers me from way back in Geometry. I didn’t have him for long since my mom decided to ship me off to preppy bitch school. The room is still the same as I remember. He had the black top, wooden legged, table desks that have two seats per one. They were all lined in three perfect rows with five in each.

I was happy to see Will was in this class with me, and the seat next to him was empty. I walked over to the seat next to him and asked, “Is this seat occupied?”

He was quick to say, “Not at all.”

I slapped my only binder down on the table and pulled the chair out, sitting in it.

Will asked, “So, how was your first class?”

I shrugged. “It was alright. Stupid Home Ec. We had to cook today. I don’t cook.”

“Oh boy, don’t I know it? I am never trusting you to make frozen pizza again.” He snickered.

I scoffed. “It wasn’t that bad. I just forgot to check the time.”

Will scoffed right back. “Pff, yeah, okay.”

I just rolled my eyes and we both laughed. I was quick to stop when I felt his presence. Great. I looked over my shoulder to see Dalton walk right over to the table next to Will and I’s, and he took the seat closest to me. Will was shooting daggers at him, but Dalton ignored him.