Chapter 31

I cradled Peyton in my arms, making goofy faces at her. Her brown eyes lit up with happiness at them. Em came over, taking Peyton away from me, and I frowned. "Not cool, Em, not cool."

"You know Cass, it's gonna be great when you have your own baby. Then you stop taking mine." Em teased.

I stuck my tongue out at her. "Dalton and I are trying. But you're supposed to wait a few weeks before taking a test."

An amused look crossed her face as she set up to feed Peyton. "Someone's been reading." God, that's got to hurt... right? I haven't read up on anything on feeding yet.

"Is it really that surprising?" I shot her a look.

She just laughed. "No, it is not, Cass Pendery, or I should start calling you, Cass Rapattoni." The butterflies filled my stomach at the thought of having the same last name as Dalton.

I made a fake laugh. "You're so funny, Emily Woods, or what I should be saying is Emily Pendery."

She stuck her tongue out at me, so I stuck my tongue back at her. "Oh, real mature for a mom."

She shot me a look. "Uh huh, real mature for someone's ego that's bigger than their pack."

I made a sarcastic gasp and put a hand to my chest. "I can't believe you'd say that."

She just rolled her eyes and finished feeding Peyton, then burped her.

"So, have you had any signs to know if you are pregnant? Even though you haven't taken a test?" Em asked, casually, setting Peyton down in her crib for her nap. I may have stolen Peyton while she was originally taking a nap, but in my defense, she was starting to go into a crying fit. So, I was just cheering her up.

I shrugged. "None that I know of. I mean, I've been eating a lot, but let's face it, I've always eaten a lot."

"So, no morning sickness, weird cravings, swollen ankles, or mood swings?" Em pursued.

I shook my head. "Nope," I popped the 'P'.

A cynical laugh left her. "I can't wait to start making fun of you for it."

I shot her a look with my eyebrows furrowing. "That's mean. I never made fun of you... that much."

"You said I looked like I was going to have twins!" Em exclaimed, while she folded some of Peyton's onsies, putting them away in the changing station slash dresser.

I went over to help her and I whispered, "Honestly, I hope we have twins."

Em snickered. "Ha! You'd have double the pain in birth!"

"I know." I shrugged. "I'd rather just have a set of twins like Cole and I. And then I hope they'd have a similar relationship to ours."

Em rested a hand on my shoulder, making me stop folding. "Don't worry, Cole was hoping for that too."

"Is he upset?" I asked, sincerely.

She nodded. "A little... But he loves Peyton. And we can always have another so Peyton has a sibling."

"That's not hard to see." I mumbled, going back to folding and putting away.

"What's hard not to see?" Em asked, her tone confused.

"That he loves Peyton. That first time I saw him look at her, it's the same look I've seen him give you and I many times." I replied with full honesty.

She smiled. "I noticed that too. He is going to be so overprotective."

"Pff, ain't that the truth?" We both laughed as we finished up the folding and putting away.