Chapter 19

There was a slow, monotone, beeping. My eyes, slowly, cracked open, and I saw my arms bandaged up. Why do I feel like I just woke up from a coma, but I'm more tired than ever?

"She's awake." a light voice said, that could only belong to Em.

"Em?" I croaked. "What's going on?... Where are we?"

Cole appeared in my vision, his face strained. "You're in the hospital, Cass. You cut yourself."

I rubbed my forehead. Shaking my head. "I did? I don't remember anything.. How did I get here?" The last thing I remember was breaking down in my bathroom for days on end because of Dalton.

"After a while, Em went to check on you. You were passed out in the tub, blood everywhere. I took you here, your cuts... they're not healing, Cass."

"What do you mean?" I asked. Honestly, I'm a bit scared. How can I not be healing? I've gone months without Dalton; granted, I didn't know I had a mate at the time, and it wasn't like we were always acting like a couple.

"Since you've disconnected yourself from Dalton, your wolf abilities are going away and diminishing your body. Soon you won't even be able to walk. This is what I was afraid of.." Cole whispered.

This doesn't make any sense, at all. My mom seems fine. But, maybe, her work is a way to distract her body. Or since my dad's completely gone, maybe the wolf spirits did something so her body doesn't do what mine is doing.. I don't know.

I sat up and shook my head vigorously. "No, I am Cass Pendery. I don't need Dalton to live. I have you, and the pack. When can I leave?"

Cole made a small laugh, but it came out hoarse. "I wish that was enough.. But you need Dalton, whether you want to admit it or not... Now, when we leave, I'm not going to make you start talking to him, but you have to start going back to school. That's an Alpha order."

I didn't say anything, only nodded slowly. I didn't want to go to school, he'd be there. I'm sure my grades have probably fallen a bit, and I can't let that happen because of stupid Dalton. He can somewhat control my body, but he can't control my grades.

***

I hit the snooze button on my alarm, groaning in pain. I, reluctantly, got out of bed and went over to my closet. I picked out my pair of black, loose joggers, plain, grey pullover hoodie, white beanie, and my white converse. I would just wear a t-shirt, but I don't need questions about my arms. Especially when I don't even remember what happened. That, and it would lead me to think about him more since what I did was over him.

I took a shower, letting the hot water wash away the tiredness I felt. It's worse since I lost so much blood. I tried to avoid water and soap on the cuts. It stung too much; they're only freshly healed. When it came time to clean them, I bit down on my lip to stop myself from crying out. It didn't stop my curses.

I stepped out of the shower, dried off, wrapped my forearms up, and put on my outfit. I left my hair down, not really caring if it gets knotted beneath the beanie. I already look like shit, so what's the point?

I jogged down the stairs and into the kitchen. Cole was the only one there, sitting at the table. Everyone must still be getting ready.

"Hey..." I trailed as I made myself a bowl of cereal. It's one of the only things I know I can't fuck up without Dalton. My body tensed and heart throbbed at the thought of him. No Cass, don't think about him.

"Hey, we need to talk." Cole demanded, his alpha voice showing.

I pulled out a chair next to him and sat down, and began to eat. "What about?"