Chapter 4

At ten, Will and I called it a night. I have just one thing to say, The Odyssey is messed up. Well, from what I know of it so far. Also, Will really does suck at Pre-Calc. But he’s good with English. He summarized a hundred some pages in a matter of an hour or so and I actually understand it! It’s a miracle! I do mean a miracle that I got him to understand anything in Pre-Calc. Okay, he’s not that terrible, but he wasn’t wrong when he said he doesn’t understand the Binomials. Honestly, I think it’s the easiest stuff. Pre-Calc could be so much harder.

Even though I’ve officially put on my sweats and t-shirt for bed and I’m completely ready for some hardcore sleep, I found myself just lying wide awake in my bed, looking at the ceiling. What is wrong with me?

After a good couple of hours of just lying there, I decided I may as well do something because clearly sleeping is not an option. It doesn’t bother me that much. Back at the prissy school, I would be so focused on pulling my pranks during the day, so I stayed up all night to do my homework and there was a lot it. Junior year sucked ass! My first year as a Sophomore, the homework load wasn’t horrible, but it was still homework. So, it was a chore.

I pulled out my copy of The Odyssey and tried to start reading the next part for class on Friday, since I’m actually caught up. I read probably two pages before closing the book. Well, this is so not happening. I don’t have any other homework and I just can’t handle this book.

I found myself staring out the window and at the moonlight- it was close to a full moon. Next thing I know, I’m opening and jumping out my window to go for a midnight jog- those exist right? I dropped my clothes off behind a bush then took a running start into the woods. I changed in midair and landed on all fours. Man, this feels great! And she loves it!

‘Sorry, I haven’t let you out in a while.’ I apologized.

‘Your circumstances are understandable.’ She stated back. She is so rational about most things. Why can’t I be like her? Probably cause’ I do let some of my emotions get the best of me and most of the time it is the anger side; not always good. I’m still not sure if Cole is like me or not. I kind of feel alone with this and… a freak. It’s why I’m afraid to tell anyone, even Cole or Em.

I changed once I was back to the bush and put my clothes back on. I quietly tiptoed back up stairs and to my room. I laid back down, hoping to fall asleep. Damn it! Fucking wide awake! I just ran a marathon, at least. I, forcefully, shut my eyes, but they popped right open, Gahh!! I felt her whimper. Why is she whimpering? And why can’t I sleep?

***

I headed into my closet and pulled on light wash ripped skinnies, a plain black v-neck, black converse, and a Green Bay Packers hat over my hair. I’m not even bothering to put my hair up today. Yeah… this is basically what my closet consists of. Sometimes I’ll throw on a flannel or sweatshirt.

I looked in the mirror, seeing very dark circles under my eyes, and my eyes were bloodshot. It was now that I felt the tiredness set on me. My skin also looked a little paler, making the dark circles look even worse. Just great.

I walked downstairs into the kitchen and walked over to the cabinet where we keep the cereal. I grabbed my favorite kind, Captain Crunch, then I grabbed a bowl, milk, and spoon, making my breakfast. I turned around to see Cole and Em sitting at the table. I leaned my elbows on the counter and slowly scooped some of breakfast into my mouth. Both of them finally took notice to me.

Cole’s face scrunched up a bit. "Jeeze, Cass, didn’t you get any sleep last night?”

I just gave him a bored, blank stare and continued eating. It became silent and I have to admit, it was a bit awkward.